University Briefs

GPSC to meet Tuesdays

The Graduate and Professional Student Council will hold its second meeting of the year tonight at 6:30 in the Sanford Institute of Public Policy, room 05. Traditionally held Monday nights, GPSC meetings will continue on Tuesdays for the rest of the year, except when they meet with President Nan Keohane and Duke Student Government President Joshua Jean-Baptiste.

Forum to address Sept. 11 dissent

Contributors to "Dissent from the Homeland: Essays After September 11" will take part in a panel discussion Sept. 19 on the war on terrorism and the causes and consequences of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks. The seven panelists will address the issues raised in "Dissent from the Homeland," a journal that includes writings by theologians, philosophers and literary critics that call into question the U.S. military response to the attacks.

The discussion will be held from 1 to 4 p.m. at the Griffith Film Theater in the Bryan Center. Panelists include Michael Baxter of the department of theology at the University of Notre Dame; Stanley Hauerwas of the Divinity School; Fredric Jameson of the literature program; Catherine Lutz of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill's anthropology department; John Milbank of the department of theology at the University of Virginia; Anne Slifkin, a civil litigation lawyer in Raleigh; and Susan Willis of the literature program.

NATO official to speak

Jamie Shea, director of information for NATO, will address "The Ethics of Government/Media Relations" at 3:30 p.m. Sept. 20, in Fleishman Commons in the Sanford Institute for Public Policy. Shea is speaking as part of a Sanford Institute Workshop on Media/Government Relations in Time of Crisis, co-sponsored by the U.S. Institute of Peace and the Sanford Institute's DeWitt Wallace Center for Communications and Journalism.

Panel on sweatshops set

"Sweatshops or Sweet Deals?," a panel discussion sponsored by the Program on Values and Ethics in the Marketplace, Political Science Department, Duke Progressive Alliance and the Kenan Institute for Ethics, is planned for Sept. 27, from 2:30 to 4:30 p.m. in the Biological Sciences Building, room 111.

The discussion will feature four panelists ranging from prominent national figures to Duke faculty, and will focus on a number of critical moral, political and economic issues surrounding companies accused of using "sweatshop" labor.

Share and discuss “University Briefs” on social media.