Parsons: Flying off the Page

As part of the Duke Artists Classics and Masterworks Series sponsored by the Institute for the Arts, Parsons Dance Company descends on Page Auditorium Tuesday night at 8 p.m. Recess Editor Meg Lawson speaks with the source, company founder David Parsons.

Recess: Why did you decide to begin your own company?

David Parsons: Basically, I had been with the Paul Taylor Dance Company for nine years, and I had been making my own work at the same time and was having it produced around New York City. I wanted to get [my work] out--nine years is a good amount of time and I learned a lot from Paul, but it was time to move on. I was getting too comfy, and wanted to do my own work and show it to people around the world.

As an artistic director, what's your mission for the company?

Well, the exploration of dance is really what we're after--to find ways of presenting dance in a contemporary style and with contemporary voice. We also want to commission new music and new designers and work with lighting designers, so it's not just about making dances.

Which piece is your particular favorite as a choreographer?

I have to say I don't have a favorite. One of the things we deal with in this company is the variety of music or movement. So basically one of the reasons I think the company has been so popular in the last 15 years is because we really give a lot of variety in the evening. There's comedy, there's some dark works, there's absolute pure dance.... Variety has been a hallmark for the company.

What's the best part of having your own company?

It's to watch artists grow and even to move on.... It's satisfying as a director to watch people grow and to challenge them and to watch them travel around the world. It's pretty exciting when you bring someone new on and you say, "Hey, you're first show is going to be in Taormina, Sicily," and to see the reaction on their face.

What is the worst aspect?

Raising money.

Do you enjoy the traveling schedule?

I toured for many years, but I will be in Durham. I'm gonna be there in Durham because we have new dancers and I want to be there for them, but basically no, I don't tour with the company full time anymore. But it is quite a difficult lifestyle.

Do you think the dancers handle it well?

I do, absolutely. These people are world class artists. They've performed from Australia to Alaska, they know what they're doing.

What are your favorite cities that you've performed in?

Sydney, Australia, New York City, Rio de Janeiro and Milano.

What would you say your favorite venue is?

The place where I've had the most excitement and felt the warmest was the Theatro Municipao in Rio de Janeiro.

Why do you think our readers should attend your show?

I would say because they're going to experience a level of artistry, athleticism and physicality that is truly world-class.

Share and discuss “Parsons: Flying off the Page” on social media.