New events mark Coming Out Week

When students wake up Monday morning, they will see a fully painted East Campus bridge signifying the beginning of Coming Out Week.

Planned by the Alliance of Queer Undergraduates at Duke, formerly called Gothic Queers, the weeklong series of events is aimed at promoting unity among the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community as well as increasing student awareness.

"This is to show there are queer students on campus who are not being ignored. We also want to dispel some of the myths that are around," said Jessica Rosario, chair of Coming Out Week.

The bridge painting, beginning Sunday night at 10 p.m., is an annual kickoff to boost participant morale and support for the week's events, Rosario said. "When you go into something like [Coming Out Week], especially in an ostracized community, you go into it apprehensive, so this is a feel good event," she said.

Organizers have also planned a "Kiss-In Lunch on the Quad," where LGBT couples and straight supporters can gather together for a picnic-style lunch. Kissing is not required, but the intention is to provide a space where people can feel comfortable with public affection, Rosario said.

The Kiss-In has been a part of Coming Out Week in previous years, but was not included last year. Organizers reinstated it this year to alter its AQUADuke's focus from predominantly social issues to more political ones.

"While we're trying to attract more acceptance on campus, we can't ignore our political goal," said junior Brian Barrera, president of AQUADuke.

He said the event's goal is to help people feel more comfortable with displays of LGBT affection. "You can deal with the fact that [someone is] gay, but can you deal with seeing it?"

Students will have an opportunity to see additional LGBT pride with the N.C. Pride Parade and Festival this Saturday on East Campus. This is the second year the parade has been held on campus.

Junior Kyle McLaughlin will be participating in AQUADuke's parade float for the first time, but she is not apprehensive. "I'm pretty much 'out' to the people I know and my parents so I'm not nervous," she said.

The main event of the week is the Coming Out Week Dinner, held in the Faculty Commons in the West Union Building. In the past, a prominent figure within the nationwide LGBT community has been invited to speak. This year, however, the organizers wanted to bring the focus closer to home, Rosario said. Participants will instead read the coming-out stories of LGBT students or community members.

"No one will be reading their own stories," Rosario said. "The intention is that someone very unlike you will be reading your story and that people from an outside [non-LGBT] organization will get an idea of what coming out is like."

Straight students are welcome at all events, especially the Coming Out Dinner, Assistant Director of Student Activities and AQUADuke Advisor Brian Denton said.

"All the events are designed to heighten awareness of the LGBT community and the events are open to everyone," he said. "The natural inclination is if AQUADuke is planning something, it is for AQUADuke members, but it's been planned for any students that are identified with LGBT and [for] allies."

McLaughlin said he hoped the events give students who are not yet out some courage. "It will be good if people who are scared of coming out will come to stuff this week and have fun and be more comfortable about it," he said.

Freshman Kelly Chong, who was only "semi-out" before coming to Duke but is now fully out, hopes the week will have an impact on campus culture.

"Duke is known as homophobic, so I'm hoping this will change," she said. "I know it can't happen overnight, but maybe gradually it will."

Share and discuss “New events mark Coming Out Week” on social media.