Despite criticism, parts of University deserve praise

Bill English, in his column "What is a University?," raised concerns we all share. But a few favorable trends at our University ought to be recognized in the face of English's criticism.

Duke is not perfect--but it is on its way. Progressive, wonderful things are occurring all around us in an effort to make Duke better. I would contend that the funds that are naively donated by alumni are not being wasted away on dead-end projects or on administrative salaries. Projects including the construction of the Nasher Museum of Art and the Center for Interdisciplinary Engineering Medicine and Applied Sciences are movements aimed at "forming great minds." The administration is making an effort to improve student life through the new housing policies, which encourage the multi-year progression of freshman-year friendships through a continued shared residential experience and through the policies of Vice President of Student Affairs Larry Moneta, which include the creation of a new student village and Multicultural Center along with the revolution and prioritization of student group funding.

The bottom line is that while things are not currently all roses on campus, the University is making an effort. The University's outlook brightens every day. It only saddens me that while these superficial, material movements are not yet complete, and do leave room for such criticism, the magical privileges that we all experience as Duke students still go relatively unnoticed--nights in K-ville, the brilliant minds of our professors, the unending beauty of our physical surroundings here on campus and the special relationships that we all form with the dynamic, unique people that we meet here, along with countless other entries.

Charles Gearing

Trinity '05

Share and discuss “Despite criticism, parts of University deserve praise” on social media.