Dunleavy stays in draft as likely top-three pick

Men's basketball star Mike Dunleavy announced Tuesday that he will forgo his final year of eligibility and keep his name in the NBA Draft.

"It was a hard decision to make, but after going back and forth, I have decided to pursue my dream of becoming a professional basketball player," Dunleavy said in a statement. "After a thorough investigation, I believe I will go reasonably high in the draft and I am excited about starting my professional career."

Chris Duhon, who along with Dunleavy was named a captain of the 2002-2003 squad, said he wished Dunleavy "the best of luck," but that he was not too worried about the team he will now captain by himself.

"We're going to be fine," the junior said. "We have a great recruiting class coming in and some guys that stepped up at the end of last season. We'll be very young, but we'll be very enthusiastic and excited. We're going to be a very hungry team. A lot of the guys that won the national championship are gone, so there will be a hunger on this team."

Senior Dahntay Jones agreed with Duhon also saying that he knew Dunleavy's absence would effect the team, but he did not think it would cripple the Blue Devils.

"I'm sure our team will be quite fine," the Trenton, N.J., native said. "With the players we have coming back and the freshmen we have coming in, we'll have a lot of talent and we're excited about the upcoming year."

However, junior Nick Horvath was not as quite as opimistic. He said that although he was very happy for Dunleavy, he knew the team would "miss him, on and off the court."

Unlike teammates Carlos Boozer and Jay Williams, who annouced at the beginning of the 2001 season that they would forgo their senior season, graduate early and enter the NBA Draft, Dunleavy had planned on returning for his senior season, but in a last-second move, he tossed his name into the draft pool just before the deadline.

Earlier in the year, coach Mike Krzyzewski told The Chronicle that Dunleavy would return for his senior season.

However, Dunleavy did not hire and agent, thus allowing him to withdraw his name and return to school at for any reason anytime before today. Tuesday afternoon Dunleavy told the program, and that night he annouced that he would not excercise that option.

Dunleavy said that just like Boozer and Williams he plans on finishing his remaining few courses and graduating from Duke University as soon as possible." He also said he would like to remain active in the Univerisity and its athletic program.

"I have very much enjoyed my years at Duke," Dunleavy said. "I have made good friends, had great experiences and received a world class education. I am a appreciative of the support that Coach K and his staff have given me throughout my time at Duke."

Most experts expect Dunleavy to be a lock for a top-five selection in the June 26th draft. Mock drafts have projected him going around the No. 3 or No. 4 slot; however, some experts have even speculated that Dunleavy will be the draft's top pick if Chinese sensation Yao Ming, who is still under contract with the Shanghi Sharks in China, is not allowed to enter this year's draft.

Share and discuss “Dunleavy stays in draft as likely top-three pick” on social media.