Duke Oui, Arizona non

AUBURN, Wash. -- In a stunning, last-minute change of fortune, the women's golf team overcame Arizona last week to claim its second national championship in four years--Duke's sixth in school history.

The finish could not have been more dramatic.

Trailing the Wildcats by three strokes as the final golfers approached the last three holes, the Blue Devils appeared doomed to their second consecutive second-place finish at the national competition. But in the eleventh hour--specifically, the 17th hole--the Wildcats fell apart as the Blue Devils played near-perfect golf to cruise to a six-stroke victory, 1179-1185.

The Arizona lead was intact until defending national individual champion, Candy Hannemann of Duke, notched a birdie on the 16th, trimming the margin to two. But on the 17th hole, Hannemann, Leigh Anne Hardin and eventual individual champion Virada Nirapathpongporn beat par, while Arizona's Cristina Baena, Laura Myerscough and the pre-tournament favorite, Lorena Ochoa, all posted bogeys on the long par-5 protected by a winding stream.

In all, the 17th hole accounted for six of the eight strokes Duke made up in the final hour of play at the Washington National Golf Course.

It was all the team needed.

In one swift hole the team erased a gaping deficit and built an insurmountable lead. Ochoa birdied the 18th, valiantly attempting to erase the damage done by her second stroke on the 17th, which had reached for the green but fell just short into a waterfall protecting the right side. But the effort was far too little--when Ochoa made her birdie putt to vigorous applause on the 18th green, she merely trimmed Duke's lead to six as the tournament officially came to an end.

Coach Dan Brooks admitted he was beginning to lose faith in the team's chances before the Blue Devils' 17th-hole rally.

"We very much felt like [the win] was slipping and that something needed to happen, either for us or to [Arizona]," he said. "Well into the back side, it didn't feel like we had the tournament."

Arizona held the lead for nearly the entirety of the four-day event, racking up a nine-stroke advantage on the first day with a three-under-par 285. The Wildcats then held on for dear life as they saw their lead dwindle to six strokes after the second round, then three strokes when play concluded after the third day.

The strongest performance of the final day, and, arguably, the most critical of the tournament, came from Hannemann, Duke's lone senior. She posted a four-under-par 68 during a round which featured the toughest pin placements of the tournament.

"Today I felt that it was the toughest conditions out there," said Nirapathpongporn. "The pins were tucked everywhere."

But Hannemann was not fazed by the course or by her team's urgent need.

"I love playing pressure situations," she said. "That's why we all play golf."

Although Brooks said he was delighted with Hannemann's final-round play, he added that he was anything but surprised.

"There is no way Candy wasn't going to show up in full form at some time in this tournament," he said. "I think she picked a wonderful time to show up."

Hannemann had not posted a score under par in any previous round of this season's championship.

The win came in record-setting fashion. The Blue Devil's team total of 1179 topped their previous best four-day mark by 15 strokes, while Nirapathpongporn's four-day score of 279 demolished the old record of 285, held by both Hannemann and former Duke All-American Jenny Chuasiriporn.

With two national titles in four years and a third near-victory, the word dynasty is in the thoughts of some of those associated with the sport. Graduating only Hannemann, Duke will likely be in a position to compete next year and beyond. The team has much to prove if it truly wishes to merit that lofty title. But Duke has never had a truly dominant team in a sport not garnering considerable media attention. It may be long overdue, but perhaps that void will finally be filled. by her second stroke on the 17th, which had reached for the green but fell just short into a waterfall protecting the right side. But the effort was far too little--when Ochoa made her birdie putt to vigorous applause on the 18th green, she merely trimmed Duke's lead to six as the tournament officially came to an end.

With two national titles in four years and a third near-victory, the word dynasty is in the thoughts of some of those associated with the sport. Graduating only Hannemann, Duke will likely be in a position to compete next year and beyond. The team has much to prove if it truly wishes to merit that lofty title. But Duke has never had a truly dominant team in a sport not garnering considerable media attention. It may be long overdue, but perhaps that void will finally be filled.

Share and discuss “Duke Oui, Arizona non” on social media.