University ends summer storage services

As officials prepare for the first set of renovations to West Campus dormitories, they have decided to eliminate one of the University's long-standing services--summer storage--choosing instead to direct students to private companies.

West Campus renovations will eliminate much of the storage space currently available for students, forcing administrators to end the service, said Fidelia Thomason, director of housing management.

"The [West-Edens Link] was not built with any student storage because it was too expensive," Thomason. "Renovations to Kilgo also will take away much space. The storage space [on West] isn't ideal--we do not like having students put their things down there."

Just months after the University brought in ARAMARK Corp. to take over its dining services and IKON to assume control of its copy center, some students said they thought Duke was simply looking for a way to save money.

"It is so unreasonable that Duke privatized the storage service. It seems that each day, Duke is becoming more of a business rather than an institution of higher learning," said freshman Pavan Bhatraju.

Other students remained uncertain of their options and said they did not want to find private storage on their own.

"I was planning on using the storage space this summer under my dorm, but I guess I can't now," said sophomore Paige Corbett. "I don't understand why Duke has to complicate things for the students and make us search for outside sources. I'm just disappointed that we no longer have that option."

Administrators have begun notifying students of the change by posting flyers and signs around campus and putting an advertisement in The Chronicle. Housing Management has directed students to private companies like Collegeboxes.com and Trosa Moving and Storage. Many students reported that Collegeboxes has already slipped flyers under their doors and placed signs in residence halls.

Thomason said she thought students would find the options more convenient. "I think that the commercial services can do a better job with the storage business. We haven't heard any complaints from any students yet," Thomason said. "Because private businesses can pick up and bring back student belongings for a reasonable rate, it seems like a good time for a change."

Share and discuss “University ends summer storage services” on social media.