Talk show anchors to visit Duke

If you turn on ABC Monday morning, you just might see Good Morning Round Table.

Diane Sawyer and Charles Gibson, anchors of the popular morning show Good Morning America, will stop by Duke Saturday night and hang out with students before going to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill for a live airing of their show Monday morning.

"They're doing a show about higher education in the Triangle and wanted to have a day in the life [of Duke students]," said former Duke University Union president Brady Beecham, with whom Sawyer will be staying Saturday night.

Sawyer will stay with juniors Beecham and Rachel Harold, while Gibson will stay with juniors Armando Estrada, Eugene Kimn and Robert Tai --all of whom reside in the Round Table selective house.

Kimn said the plan is for the two hosts to come to Duke at about 6 p.m. Saturday to find out what it is like being a college student on a weekend night, even though that weekend falls during reading period.

"We're planning on going out to dinner at Satisfaction's, and then hanging out at the dorm for an hour or two, then going out to Mug Shots and then later on, going to Cosmic [Cantina] or Honey's," he said.

Kimn said Round Table residents found out about the segment last Friday morning when they were called by Vice President for Student Affairs Sue Wasiolek, who told them about the show's interest. He added that Gibson will likely stay in his bed and that he will stay at the Washington Duke Inn Saturday night.

Estrada said he felt a little nervous, considering that they would be representing the entire University.

"It's not direct pressure, but there's some indirect pressure to make sure we uphold the reputation of the University," he said.

Beecham said her mother e-mailed her, excited about the visit.

"[The Good Morning America staffers] said Diane likes Diet Coke, so we're going to get some of that," Beecham said.

Share and discuss “Talk show anchors to visit Duke” on social media.