Schwartz makes happy return to former school

2001 Duke graduate Jillian Schwartz returned to Wallace Wade Stadium this past weekend for the first time to compete in the Duke Invitational. Wearing a Nike insignia rather than a Duke one, the pole vaulter competed in the unattached category, a novel experience on what was once her home track.

"It's a little bit weird... but good to be back," said Schwartz. In the 2002 meet, she broke her previous record by clearing 13-06.50. She has won every Duke Invitational she has competed in.

After her graduation last year, Schwartz moved to Arkansas to train daily with some of the best coaches and athletes in the sport.

"It's all been going well and I'm learning a lot down [in Arkansas]," Schwartz said. "I've been jumping really well in practice--hopefully that will translate over to a meet soon," she added, mentioning that she was frustrated with her recent performances.

Schwartz is still trying to reach loftier heights, although she has already experienced a great deal of success in the sport.

"I want to keep doing this as long as I get better; I just hope I don't plateau at this level," she said.

Schwartz, a native of Lake Forest, Ill., said she came to Duke mainly for academics, but also for the track team. She had never vaulted before coming to Duke, but quickly accelerated into the premier level of pole vaulting, earning All-America honors three times, qualifying for three NCAA Championships and winning three ACC Championships.

Women's coach Jan Samuelson-Ogilvie said Schwartz's return was one of the highlights of the invitational.

"It was fun to see Jillian come back to Duke and set a meet record as she continues to get better in the vault."

Scott Still, who coached Schwartz in the pole vault throughout her time at Duke, was also pleased to see her back and doing so well.

"She progressed at a time in the sport when she kept ahead of the learning curve," commented Still, who attributed her successes and popularity not only to skill but also to mental toughness and good gamesmanship.

"It feels awesome to have her back," said Still, adding it did not matter that Jillian was technically competing against Duke.

"We'll never compete against Jillian.... We never really feel the competitive part, because there's enough of that going on in the world. They're all always part of our family."

Share and discuss “Schwartz makes happy return to former school” on social media.