Duke keeps kosher kitchen open

Despite previous concerns about its long-term viability, the kosher kitchen on campus will remain open, under the new management of Duke and ARAMARK Corp.

Grave financial concerns prompted officials at the Freeman Center for Jewish Life, which houses and supports the kitchen, to consider scaling back services, citing the facility's average annual loss of $50,000. Despite cutbacks and the firing of one of two full-time chefs, the eatery has lost nearly $18,000 this term, said Board of Directors Chair Dr. Harold Kudler.

"Kosher food is not just about taking care of a few students, it's about building the community, bringing new people to Duke, making Duke a welcoming place not just for Jews, but for all minorities, making itself a choice of diversity for all students," he said.

Joseph Pietrantoni, associate vice president for auxiliary services, said the University will offer a kosher plan that provides five meals at the FCJL Monday through Friday. It would replace five meals on the freshman plan at the Marketplace, or its price would be deducted from the overall cost of upperclassmen's dining plans.

Pietrantoni said he did not worry about financial loss and that there may be more demand with the new plans, which will provide cheaper options than a la carte offerings.

The change, which will take effect for at least next year, was prompted by discussions among FCJL board members, Vice President for Student Affairs Larry Moneta and dining administrators. Previously, officials had thought the University would only be able to provide kosher dining on West and East campuses.

"It's critical to demonstrate to students who require kosher food that Duke and the Freeman Center work together," Moneta said. "We collaboratively believe in having kosher food, provided out of a kosher kitchen and not just kosher TV dinners."

Board member Judith Ruderman, vice provost for academic and administrative services, said the center never would have ended its commitment, but that it will be nice to continue the kitchen's services.

"We've made a promise to people by having this center and advertising kosher dining," she said. "It was a sizable financial burden. Kosher food is expensive and we can't charge accordingly, so it was a continual loss."

Although the FCJL has remained self-sufficient since it opened in 1999, it has faced continued deficits, as officials predicted earlier this year a $200,000 shortfall. In addition to reconsidering the kitchen, the board decided to replace current director Roger Kaplan with someone with extensive fundraising skills. The center has narrowed its search for a new director to a few candidates, and Kudler said the board will likely have a final selection at its April 28 meeting.

Share and discuss “Duke keeps kosher kitchen open” on social media.