Women's tennis dominates 'Horns in debut at Ambler

In its first outdoor match at the new, state-of-the-art Ambler Tennis Stadium, the No. 4 Duke women's tennis team defeated No. 7 Texas 5-2. The solid victory for the Blue Devils was a bit surprising after its 4-3 loss to UCLA March 12, a team Texas beat on four of its six individual matches.

"Both UCLA and Texas have very good players on their teams," Duke freshman Saras Arasu said. "I think on any given day anyone can beat anyone. We really focused to beat Texas after our loss to UCLA, and we just played really well."

Duke took the early lead in the match, winning the doubles point after capturing victories at the No. 2 and No. 3 positions. The No. 2 doubles duo of Julie DeRoo and Amanda Johnson defeated Kaysie Smasher and Lindsay Blau 8-4. Katie Granson and Susie Abromeit were also victorious, as they beat Rebekah Forney and Michelle Krinke 8-3.

Doubles play had been a problem for the team all year, but in its last two matches, Duke has won against top-10 teams.

"It was the first time in about a year that we beat a top-10 team in doubles play," Duke coach Jamie Ashworth said.

The Blue Devils then won four of the six individual matches to cap the victory. Duke was especially focused on the individual matches, as relaxing after a doubles win was a major problem against UCLA.

"If you win doubles, you can relax a little bit," Ashworth said. "It's a different mindset. Against UCLA, we may have relaxed a little bit. [Against Texas] we did a good job."

The individual matches, however, began poorly for the Blue Devils, with Blau defeating Hillary Adams 6-3, 6-3.

Duke quickly recovered with wins from the No. 1, No. 2 and No. 5 positions.

Freshman Kelly McCain won her match over Vladka Uhlirova 6-4, 6-1. Amanda Johnson, a sophomore, quickly followed her teammate with a victory over Joanne Masongsong 6-2, 6-2, while Arasu clinched the Duke victory with her win over Forney 6-3, 6-4.

"We played solid everywhere," Ashworth said. "I thought Amanda Johnson played really well. She has been winning, but not playing all that well. She's starting to get back to where she was last year."

Arasu felt challenged by her opponent.

"[Forney] was a good player," Arasu said. "She was very consistent. It was a hard battle, and I was able to pull through."

Perhaps the most important individual victory was won after the match was decided. DeRoo defeated Katherine Ruckert in three sets 6-4, 2-6, 6-4.

DeRoo has only been with the team for three weeks since recovering from an injury, and has struggled with her play thus far.

"Julie is starting to be where she needs to be," Ashworth said. "She struggled in California, but to beat a girl who is ranked in the top 50 is good for her confidence."

Ashworth was excited about the new facility, as well as the outcome of the match.

"It's a great facility," he said. "It's too bad we played during spring break and did not have many fans. Hopefully during the next few weeks people can enjoy a very viewer-friendly place to play tennis."

Duke will next host N.C. State Wednesday at 5 p.m.

Share and discuss “Women's tennis dominates 'Horns in debut at Ambler” on social media.