Wireless network goes widely unnoticed

As officials expand wireless capability on campus--most recently in the West Union Building, The Loop and the Faculty Commons--many students remain unaware of current networking.

Robert Currier, director of the Office of Information Technology's Enterprise Communications Infrastructure Group, said an advisory council two years ago identified several places on campus in need of wireless networking.

The group installed wireless networking in the West Union about two months ago and in The Loop and the Faculty Commons even more recently.

"Those areas were identified by a large number of people as ones needing service," Currier said. "The interest was there."

Wireless networking capability is present in 40 Duke buildings--including the Bryan Center, Krzyzewskiville and Perkins Library. OIT has installed more than 150 access points with over 800 registered users so far. Each access point costs $850.

Wireless networking uses radio frequency signals to connect laptop computers to an ethernet network. To create wireless networking, OIT must install access points, which convert the ethernet signals into radiowaves. Students and faculty can purchase adapter cards, which receive the radiowaves. Users must then register their cards so that the access points can identify them as authorized users.

Currier said the Information Technology Advisory Council has advertised wireless networking on its website and by word of mouth. "Just take a walk around, and you'll see people using it," he said.

In Thursday's Duke Student Government elections, volunteers used wireless networking at stations around campus to encourage students to vote online.

Many students reported that they do they not use the network and do not even know what it is. "I don't really have a laptop or anything like that," said senior Katy Wischow, adding that she did not even know what wireless meant. "I don't have any friends who use it. I don't have any friends who really take laptops anywhere besides their house."

Ethan Brown, a junior, said he does not use wireless networking and neither do his friends. "I did know that there was wireless networking in the Bryan Center, but not anywhere outside the Bryan Center," he said. "From what I understand, it's too expensive to actually get the little card that you put in the computer, but the computer's already set up in the Bryan Center and in the library to use. It's just a couple extra steps in order to get to them so I really don't need [wireless]."

Wireless networking adapter cards can range from $150 to $250 in price.

Courtney Sauer, a sophomore, said she has considered purchasing a card but decided against it. "Because I already have my laptop and because it already has the connection to the ethernet, I haven't tried to change it," she said. "But I'm moving off campus next year, so I might try it then."

Last November, Currier presented a timeline to the advisory council for installing access points--those selections are based on feedback from DSG, the Computer and Information Technology Intensive Environment and ITAC members. New buildings will all have wireless capability as well. DSG two years ago passed a resolution urging the University to install wireless capability, specifically in the Bryan Center and the Perk Cafe in Perkins.

Share and discuss “Wireless network goes widely unnoticed” on social media.