Two students named Truman scholars

Two Duke juniors were selected as winners of the prestigious Truman Scholarship, the University announced Thursday.

President Nan Keohane notified juniors Dave Chokshi and Troy Clair Wednesday that they will each be awarded one of about 80 such scholarships nationwide.

"I think they're very impressive and they're dedicated to a career in public service," said Ellen Wittig, associate dean of Trinity College, who runs the Truman Scholarship selection process.

The Harry S. Truman Scholarship Foundation awards scholarships of $3,000 for senior-year study and up to $27,000 for graduate studies to students who plan to pursue careers in government or public service.

Wittig said 2002 marks the ninth consecutive year that at least two Duke undergraduates won the award. Thirty-five Duke undergraduates have received the award since the program's conception in 1977. Of the four nominees sent from Duke this year, all were named finalists.

"The criteria for the scholarship are extensive records of public service, commitment to a career in public service and intellectual strength, and I think they show all of these characteristics in an admirable way," Wittig said. "Our nominees have been wonderful."

Chokshi, a Baton Rouge, La., native, is also an Angier B. Duke Scholar. A double major in chemistry and public policy, he plans to enter a joint degree program for both a medical degree and a master's degree in public health. Chokshi serves as the chair of the Honor Council at Duke and is the editor-in-chief of Vertices, an undergraduate journal of science and technology.

"I found out [Wednesday] when President Keohane called me and Troy into her office," Chokshi said. "We were sent an e-mail asking us to come by to talk about issues at Duke.... We actually talked about our Truman interviews before [meeting with Keohane], but we never put two and two together."

Chokshi said he is interested in addressing biomedical issues that bridge ethics, science and health, and that he hopes to enter a career in policymaking at the federal level with an agency like the Department of Health and Human Services or the Office of Science and Technology Policy.

Clair, a New York City native, is a political science major. He plans to pursue a law degree with an additional master's degree in public policy. Clair, who was recently elected Duke Student Government's vice president for student affairs, served this year as president of the Black Student Alliance. He has served as president of his dormitory council.

Clair said he hopes to work as a policy adviser in the federal government and then possibly run for political office.

"I think the intent of the Truman is to reward people who want to be change agents in society. That's one of my goals. That's why I wanted to pursue the Truman," Clair said.

Share and discuss “Two students named Truman scholars” on social media.