Team's success spurs little student support

Although the women's basketball team is in the Final Four, basketball season seems to have ended for most students.

This year marks the first time that the women's team has advanced farther than the men's, but Coach Gail Goestenkors said she has not seen any increase in support.

"The fans we had at the [Entertainment and Sports Arena in Raleigh] were incredible," she said. "I don't know how many were students. Nobody was there to greet us [when we got home], which was kind of surprising for me as a coach."

The men's basketball team boasts some of the most loyal and diehard fans in college basketball, but the women's team still does not generate nearly the same enthusiasm--despite some high-profile supporters, such as President Nan Keohane and Pratt School of Engineering Dean Kristina Johnson.

Several students said that although they were happy that the women's team was going to the Final Four, a Final Four men's team would have overshadowed them.

"It's more important now that the guys haven't made it as far as they thought they would," said Jessica Efird, a freshman who was in the first tent in line for the Duke-North Carolina men's game. "I'm definitely happy for the women... but I wouldn't be paying as much attention if the guys hadn't gone down."

Many students also said that women's games, despite the gains the sport has made, are still less exciting than men's games.

"From a spectator sense, it's more fast-paced, more impressive plays," said freshman Chris Borges. "The women's game is more fundamental, because they don't have as much athletic ability."

Senior Krista Gingrich, a member of the women's basketball team, said that many people have an outdated view and preconceptions about the sport.

"It's the idea that the game's slow, [women] can't shoot that well, they shoot like a girl, play zones all the time, can't jump," she said.

Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs Sue Wasiolek said there will be a large-screen viewing of the 7 p.m. Duke-Oklahoma game Friday night in Cameron and, should the team advance, another viewing of Sunday's 8:30 p.m. national championship game.

A bonfire permit has also been requested for Sunday night and administrators will proceed with bonfire precautions, including roadblocks around campus.

"I think we [haven't attracted] the historic Cameron Crazies," said sophomore Iciss Tillis, a member of the team. "They aren't fans that we have. We mainly get a totally different crowd."

Last year, average attendance at women's basketball games increased to a program-high of 4,626 from an average of 2,977 the year before. This season's average attendance at Cameron Indoor Stadium has dropped, however, to 3,919.

"Our attendance has gone down for the first time, perhaps ever," Goestenkors said earlier in the season. "It's a little bit frustrating and it had a little bit to do with the fact that the men's games were on the same nights as our games."

Goestenkors said meager attendance is a liability she has to fight during recruiting, especially considering the sellouts other elite women's programs like the University of Connecticut and the University of Tennessee routinely boast.

"I think people are getting more and more excited about them," said Greg Skidmore, Duke Student Government head line monitor. "A lot of times the women's team takes the back seat, which is not always right. I think people are paying more attention and I hope a lot of people come out on Friday."

Shawn Nicholls contributed to this story.

Share and discuss “Team's success spurs little student support” on social media.