Officials sanction Wayne Manor

In an ongoing investigation of selective houses, administrators notified Wayne Manor Thursday of their violations and sanctions.

Officials from the Office of Judicial Affairs met with the group Thursday night and announced that they had found that the group had violated the alcohol policy and demonstrated disorderly conduct.

The investigators--a commission of three deans--did not find the group in violation of the hazing policy.

Kacie Wallace, associate dean for judicial affairs, said Wayne Manor will lose access to its designated commons space until the end of next fall and will not be able to hold social events until fall break. Wallace also said the group has already initiated its pledges for next year, so there is no pledging process in which to intervene.

Although neither Wayne Manor nor Judicial Affairs would discuss the specific events, Wallace confirmed they were related to the vandalizing of Wallace Wade Stadium. According to a police report, on the night of Feb. 21, someone hit golf balls on the Wallace Wade field and a $500 window pane was broken at the Finch-Yeager Sports Medicine Building. In addition, someone had used a vehicle to make several large circles in the turf, causing about $5,000 in damage.

Wallace said the investigation proceeded fairly smoothly.

"They were very cordial, very respectful," she said. "We had a very productive experience..... I've gained tremendous respect and admiration for their group."

Junior Seth Weitberg, who was recently elected president of Wayne Manor, did not comment specifically on the violations, but said the group will work to implement the sanctions.

"We accept what the deans have decided and respect and understand their rationale, and will do our best to work with them," he said.

Wallace said her office has yet to meet with one or two more groups early next week to discuss investigative findings and possible sanctions. Theta Chi fraternity met with the commission Tuesday night and was found guilty of alcohol and hazing violations and received the same sanctions as Wayne Manor. In addition, Theta Chi's pledge process was suspended through the end of the spring semester.

Share and discuss “Officials sanction Wayne Manor” on social media.