After official end, SAE continues on

Although members of the former Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity deactivated in January, they say they have no intention of fading away. The fraternity recruited 21 pledges during rush last month--more than many other fraternities.

"Some freshmen we knew were disappointed with the group's dissolution," said junior Brooks Barge. "They really wanted to join our fraternity and thought we could do something about it."

The group, which eschewed its national contacts earlier this semester, still hopes to remain friends and gather as a unit.

Rising seniors plan to live together in three off-campus houses and underclassmen plan to remain in blocks on West Campus.

Barge said that although former members have no immediate plans to re-establish themselves as a selective group residentially, the group may consider it in the future.

"Right now, that isn't a goal of ours," said junior Will Brown, former SAE president.

"We're focused on making ourselves a successful off-campus group. That's what were concentrating on."

Barge said many pledges are taking an active role in the process and are providing input in the formation of the new group.

Freshman Ray Ben-Dor said that although he rushed several fraternities, when SAE accepted him, there was no doubt he would pledge the fraternity, despite the tumultuous road it has taken this year.

"I'm concerned about what my personal opinion is about the fraternity," he said. "I wasn't really persuaded to join a fraternity because a) the administration liked it or b) the nationals liked it."

In its new form, SAE hopes to make several changes to become a stronger and healthier group than in the past--such as establishing new leadership positions, holding officer meetings on a more regular basis, emphasizing individual accountability and dining weekly at the Great Hall on Tuesday nights.

"We want to mold ourselves like fraternities in other universities, where older members live off campus and serve as role models for younger members," Brown said.

Matt McLanahan, another freshman pledge, said it was the people rather than housing perks that drew him to the group and that he was optimistic it would become stronger in his time at Duke.

Ben-Dor said that he thought most fraternities were moving off-campus at the University and that at some other schools, the fraternity system functions well off-campus. Barge pointed to Vanderbilt University as a successful example.

Todd Adams, assistant dean of student development, who advises the Interfraternity Council, said neither IFC nor the administration will continue oversight over the group.

Duke's SAE chapter deactivated in January, citing difficulty in meeting rules and regulations an alumni council set up by the national office had established in regard to pledging activities. Prior to its dissolution, the group had been on probation since last summer.

"What the nationals wanted us to be was not practical," Barge said. "We could not do that anymore."

Share and discuss “After official end, SAE continues on” on social media.