RCs to have some judicial authority

In preparation for this fall's new residential quadrangle system, adminstrators are examining ways to integrate the undergraduate judicial system by giving responsibility to residence coordinators.

Officials anticipate that RCs will deal with minor student offenses and that the Office of Judicial Affairs and the Undergraduate Judicial Board will continue to handle more complex ones.

"The expectation is the RCs will have a greater presence," said Sue Wasiolek, assistant vice president for student affairs. "Because of their presence and day-to-day relations with students, I think they will be expected to deal with [certain offenses] without consulting the judicial board."

Associate Dean for Judicial Affairs Kacie Wallace said her office will remain in constant contact with the RCs to determine whether cases will be dealt with on a University or residential level.

Currently, all cases involving expulsion, suspension or a living group dissolution are heard by the UJB. All other cases are handled by Judicial Affairs deans. Prior to this year, students had the right to request a hearing with the UJB, regardless of the nature of their case.

Wasiolek, also interim dean of student development, said the change has been positive.

"Students have found that the response is much quicker, and the process is more individualized," she said. "It's generalized, a one-on-one conversation, more of a conference or conversation than a hearing."

The University changed the system because not all cases require the formality of the UJB process, Wallace said, adding that whether the cases are heard by a dean or by the board, the outcomes are similar.

"Every case is different, but in general the sanction is based on the behavior and not who hears the case," Wallace said.

The change has made the process more efficient, Wasiolek said, stressing that fairness has not been marginalized for the sake of efficiency.

Last semester, there were 156 cases. Of these, 135 were handled by Judicial Affairs and 21 were heard by the UJB.

Wallace said no one type of case has been particularly prominent this year, but added that certain types of violations vary by time of year.

For example, during midterms and finals, there are more academic dishonesty cases, whereas during basketball season, Judicial Affairs sees more cases regarding tenting and bonfires. Year-round, the most frequent offenses are alcohol violations and property damage, Wallace said.

Judicial Affairs deans are also working with students and Larry Moneta, vice president for student affairs, to examine procedures and sanctions. Specifically, Wallace said they will look at how different circumstances impact each violation and how sanctions affect students.

Share and discuss “RCs to have some judicial authority” on social media.