Investigation of sexual assault continues

Campus police continued their investigation Thursday into the alleged sexual assault of a freshman early Wednesday morning, looking for potential suspects and information on how the perpetrator gained access to an East Campus residence.

There remain no suspects and few details in the case, in which a freshman reported that she was beaten and sexually assaulted after being sprayed in the eyes with a liquid as she exited a stall in a Randolph Dormitory bathroom. Another resident said she found the victim in shock in the bathroom at about 6 a.m.

As of Thursday, police did not believe the assailant to be an acquaintance of the victim.

"Preliminary information we've received from the victim does not suggest she knew the suspect," said Maj. Robert Dean, a spokesperson for the Duke University Police Department.

Dean added that, because the victim was blinded, police may never be able to get a full description of the subject beyond the fact that he was male. Police are also still not sure how the subject was able to enter the dorm, which requires DukeCard access like all residence halls.

"The investigation is progressing. We're still talking to everyone and everybody," Dean said. "We're exhausting all our investigative resources on this incident."

Department of Housing Management workers continued to secure all residence hall bathrooms Thursday by replacing locks, repairing doors and removing door stops and other obstructions, including tape and bottle caps. However, their efforts are being hindered, officials said, because students continue to prop doors open.

"The general impression I get from the reports is that most locks would be working fine if they hadn't been defeated by the students," said Fidelia Thomason, director of housing management. "When we did our door inspections today, several doors that had been untaped, undefeated, had been taped again."

Thomason added that housekeepers are being asked to pay particular attention to keeping bathrooms secure. In addition, Dean said police have increased patrols around campus.

Still, some students expressed frustration at the distribution of public safety resources, and said the police should be doing more to ensure the safety of students in their homes.

"How do these people get into the buildings? How do these people not get noticed hanging around a bathroom?" asked junior Alyssa Cox. "I see the parking guy out towing cars more than I see a security guy walking around checking things out."

Others said they feel less safe on campus than they did before the assault, noting they are more aware of potential dangers.

"I think the sense of security's definitely been threatened," said freshman Kate McCormick, a Randolph resident. "Some people don't feel as comfortable in the dorms."

Share and discuss “Investigation of sexual assault continues” on social media.