Chronicle regrets error

As a newspaper, The Chronicle always strives to be a forum for all people to express their ideas and opinions and engage in dialogue with others. It has never been the role of an editor to decide which arguments are morally reprehensible and which are ethically laudable, because one statement may be both depending on the audience. It is in that spirit that The Chronicle must decide what material is fit to be published, regardless of the views of its editors.

For example, three years ago, a Duke undergraduate called the Indian civilization unworthy of intellectual study and was supported by a classmate, who denounced India as "primitive" in letters to the editor of The Chronicle. Their ideas, which addressed the proposed creation of a Hindi major at Duke, were subsequently denounced as racist and "educationally handicapped." As offensive as many, if not most, people found those statements, they did spark a useful debate about the Hindi major, eastern civilizations and the University's responsibility to protect students who receive threats.

The principle of debate is what inspires many editors to make the decisions they do. But that debate is never fostered when factual errors are allowed into the paper.

Ten days ago, The Chronicle published a letter that verbally assaulted the family of columnist Abdullah Al-Arian. Given that Al-Arian has written before about his family, the door has been opened for opinions about them. However, the piece contained unacceptable factual errors. Unintentional though the errors were, it is clear in hindsight that The Chronicle fell down on the job. For example, there is no evidence that Abdullah Al-Arian's father, Sami Al-Arian, heads a "known Hamas front," as the letter asserted; Abdullah Al-Arian clarified this and other errors in his Feb. 11 column. The Chronicle apologizes to the Al-Arian family and to the community and deeply regrets making these errors.

The Chronicle understands that this is a time when we all must be particularly watchful for prejudice against Arab Americans, and we will continue to cover these issues as best we can. Part of excellent coverage must also include opinions from the rest of the community. Thank you to those who have already written letters to the editor, in an effort to refute an argument many have found repugnant--this is a credit to our community. To those who have not, please feel free to submit an opinion if you feel strongly about this matter. The editorial pages are a place for all voices to be heard, and I invite you to make use of them.

Trinity senior Ambika Kumar is editor of The Chronicle.

Share and discuss “Chronicle regrets error” on social media.