Americans must expand understanding of cultures

Recent events on our campus and in the rest of the country have shown us that we live in a society dominated by extreme fear and ignorance directed at the Arab, Muslim and South Asian communities. It is truly disappointing that the average American knows very little about the culture and religions of the Middle East and South Asia and is quick to vilify all people from these regions as "evil," "anti-American" or "terrorists." Americans are primarily concerned with events that happen within our borders and lack concern for the rest of the world until we are dramatically and directly affected by them. We did not discuss Afghan women one year ago, yet they have been suffering for years under both the Taliban and the Mujahadeen. The terrorism we have so recently experienced has been a concern for most of the world's people for decades, but we have long considered ourselves invincible. Our ignorance is inexcusable. It is not the responsibility of others to educate us, but for us to educate ourselves.

Still, we do know that Arabs, Muslims and South Asians are not terrorists, and we can not let this knowledge be eroded by fear. These people are our neighbors, our colleagues, our professors and our friends. They are no more responsible for the events of Sept. 11 than any other Americans. It is important for us to remember that we are all a part of a nation of immigrants, and the dehumanization of any group can quickly be extended to others. The USA PATRIOT Act, disappearances and the secret military trials created by the government threaten the civil liberties, rights, freedom and safety of us all.

In an effort to strive toward this goal, today has been declared a National Day of Solidarity with Arab, Muslim and South Asian immigrants. Let's take this opportunity to unite in opposition to the fear and hate being directed at Arabs, Muslims and South Asians and create a safe, supportive and peaceful community for all of us.

Jillian Johnson

Trinity '03

Share and discuss “Americans must expand understanding of cultures” on social media.