12 groups receive results from review

At least two selective living groups--Cleland and Beta Theta Pi fraternity--are on probation following the release of the first round of annual review results. Six other houses received good ratings, and results for four others remained unconfirmed Wednesday night. University officials could not be reached for comment.

"Cleland was disappointed to find that we are in Ocontract' status," said junior Debbie Seibold, co-president of the house. "But [we] do not see it as a threat to our future."

The Annual Review Committee, which reviews selective groups based on seven categories each year, found that Cleland did not complete its faculty interaction requirement.

Beta President Alex Ford, a junior, said the fraternity passed all the categories except educational programming. But the group did not receive a rating because it was already on probation from last year's annual review. The ARC gave the fraternity the remainder of the semester to improve its standing.

"I'm not a fan of the ARC," Ford said. "But it's something the University deems necessary."

Wayne Manor, placed on probation last year, received a "good" rating from the committee this time. Senior Rudy Ruiz, the group's president, said he was very satisfied with the results. Among the categories the ARC commended were the group's citizenship and community service.

"We put a lot of effort into it," he said. "And we're happy with the results."

Each fall, selective living groups submit a report to the ARC outlining how they have completed their requirements in seven categories: faculty interaction, student-led programming, cultural programming, educational programming, community service, social interaction and citizenship. Based on the reports, the ARC awards each house one of five ratings, ranging from "contract for probation" to "outstanding."

ARC Chair Todd Adams and several other committee members were scheduled to meet with 12 selective living groups Wednesday and will contact the remaining ones next Wednesday.

Like Wayne Manor, Roundtable also received a "good" rating, but leaders said they were disappointed with it. "We put a lot of time into it," said Justin Wong, former Roundtable president. "[We are] a bit disappointed but respect their decision."

The ARC suggested the selective living group could improve its faculty interaction by holding smaller group sessions. The committee pointed out that faculty sometimes feel intimidated by the number of students who attend the events, but Wong pointed out that the house makes an effort to invite two faculty members at a time.

Brownstone, Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity, Maxwell House and Decker also received a rating of "good." Leaders for Alpha Tau Omega fraternity, Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity and Mirecourt could not be reached for comment, and Mitchell officials declined to comment.

Senior Kevin Chu, president of Maxwell, said the result was not surprising. The house has received the same rating the past three years. But he said the group tried to incorporate new events this year.

Recently, the ARC has become more strict, having revoked the housing of two selective living groups in the past two years. Group leaders often argued that expectations were not made clear. Earlier this year, many expressed optimism with the appointment of Adams as the committee's new chair.

Still, several living group leaders complained about the process this year, citing too much negative feedback and vague expectations.

"I [would] just like to see the administration put some kind of positive aspect [to the review]," said junior Seth Weiner, AEPi president. "As a fraternity, these are the things we would do even without it. It's more of a negative aspect."

Share and discuss “12 groups receive results from review” on social media.