Details on residential life released

Student Affairs administrators finalized a series of details Wednesday about this spring's housing process and the future of residential life, announcing among other things a residential smoking ban and enforcement of the three-year on-campus living requirement.

The details released answered several lingering questions about residential policy and how the housing lottery will be run this year. As the latest step in the University's overhaul of undergraduate residential life, the changes are aimed at helping to implement links between freshman dorms and West Campus quads, to move all sophomores to West and to build residential communities around quads.

Office of Student Development administrators had been considering a residential smoking ban for several years, and Campus Council passed a resolution last fall supporting such a move. The Duke Student Government Legislature voted soon after to leave the decision up to individual living groups.

Currently, students are allowed to smoke in their rooms with the consent of their roommate, but because of smoking's health dangers, administrators have decided to allow it only in Central Campus apartments.

"It's kind of a no-brainer in the sense that this is a residential environment, and it makes sense for all the health reasons that are obvious," said Bill Burig, assistant dean of student development, adding that surveys during past housing registrations supported the move.

The decision drew praise from Campus Council President Vik Devisetty.

"I'm extremely happy with the decision. I think it was the right one to make. I think there was a lot of discussion," said Devisetty, a senior. "In the end, it came down to whether the University wants to promote a healthy environment."

DSG President C.J. Walsh criticized the decision, and what he called a lack of student input on the issue.

"I think it's ridiculous to have a blanket rule like this on a college campus," he said.

The three-year on-campus living requirement--a long-standing University policy that has never been enforced--will become effective for the Class of 2004. In addition, members of the Class of 2005 will be required to live on campus for three consecutive years. The change represents the University's financial need to fill beds, as well as a desire to build community on campus, Burig said.

"We feel that the residential experience is a central component of the experience at Duke, so we want to bring folks back into the fold on that," Burig said.

Time spent studying abroad will count toward the requirement, and students will be able to request waivers, including for health problems and when the only on-campus option left is Trent Drive Hall.

"We won't force anyone to live in Trent," Burig said. "We're not saying that Trent is untenable. We're just responding to the opinions of the students."

The greater community that may come with the living requirement has met mixed reaction.

"If you want to live off campus, the administration shouldn't push students to live on campus just for togetherness," said sophomore Dorian Smith. "You really only have that freshman year, and you really meet most of your friends then."

Other students said they liked the idea of requiring students to live together. "I really like Duke's... atmosphere, and having the three-year requirement preserves the social atmosphere," said freshman Michele Pugh.

Because of the anticipated bed shortage on West, the administration will offer incentives for students to volunteer for housing in Trent.

All rooms will be offered as singles at a double-room rate--a savings of $1,368 based on projected costs--and students can block in unlimited numbers and alternating male and female rooms. In addition, blocks of six or more that choose Trent early will have an extra bedroom as a lounge.

Several other residential changes were announced:

• Contrary to previous discussions this fall, the administration will not compensate sophomores who otherwise would have not lived on West for financial reasons. But officials are considering financial aid for sophomores whose freshman dorm links with a West quad with central air conditioning.

• In an effort to streamline the housing process and reduce manipulation, students planning to study abroad will not be included in the housing lottery, and students cannot cancel their housing to move off campus. In addition, the process has been shortened from two weeks to nine days.

• With the West-Edens Link adding over 330 new beds to campus, OSD will discontinue the practice of expanding rooms beyond their standard capacities. As a result, Main West Campus will include about 100 fewer beds than last year.

• Upperclass substance-free housing will be suspended for next year, due to lack of interest. Burig said less than 30 students signed up this year.

OSD officials are scheduled to hold information sessions throughout February, and DSG will hold two forums next week with Student Affairs officials to discuss the changes. The first will be at 7 p.m. Monday, the second at 8:30 p.m. Tuesday; both will be in 139 Social Sciences.

The complete changes in residential life are available on this spring's housing website, http://osddev.studentaffairs.duke.edu/HOUSe02.

Share and discuss “Details on residential life released” on social media.