Council OKs funds for deck

Revitalization of downtown Durham took two steps forward Tuesday when the City Council agreed to help fund a parking deck as part of the redevelopment of the former Liggett tobacco complex, and Capitol Broadcasting Company, Inc., announced that it would purchase the old American Tobacco property.

The council unanimously passed a motion authorizing City Manager Marcia Conner to negotiate an agreement with Liggett Group, Inc., to help pay for a parking deck downtown with about $12 million in public funding. The facility would support the new office, retail and residential space to be located in the old tobacco buildings.

Bill Kalkhof, president of Downtown Durham, Inc., spoke favorably about the proposed development. "People from all over our community can benefit," he said, adding that the Liggett development would lead to more jobs, greater retail opportunities and an increase in the property tax base.

Kalkhof urged the council to use the project as momentum to move forward with other development projects.

"All seven of you can change the face of downtown Durham forever," he said. "The question is not whether we can afford to do all these development projects. [It is] can we afford not to?"

Barker French of the Historic Preservation Society of Durham called the Liggett redevelopment "a great step toward the revival of downtown Durham." But he expressed disappointment regarding the proposed demolition of the Chesterfield Building, a historic component of Liggett's campus.

The multi-phase Liggett development plan, outlined to the council Jan. 10, calls for a complete development agreement to be approved by May 2002. Construction of the parking garage and renovations of the Walker Building are scheduled to be completed by November 2004.

Council member John Best expressed some doubts as to whether the agreement could be completed by May, offering suggestions and requesting clarification about the construction of the parking deck. Conner addressed his concerns regarding the revenue breakdown between the city and the Liggett corporation.

Adding to the feeling that downtown revitalization is finally moving was CBC's announcement of its decision to purchase the American Tobacco property.

"It reflects the progress we've made thus far, which is with Duke University and Compuware, and we're confident that we will get enough additional tenants to make the project work for us," said CBC's Peter Anlyan. Duke and Compuware have signed letters of intent to lease space in the American Tobacco facility--which will include retail and office space.

CBC announced that environmental abatement work on the property will begin immediately, with the removal of asbestos and lead paint. "Contracts have been signed, and the work will begin as soon as the contractor can mobilize," Mike Hill, vice president and general counsel of CBC, said in a press release.

Kalkhof expressed enthusiasm about the American Tobacco project. "Clearly this will be the biggest, most visible program that downtown Durham, in fact any downtown in North Carolina, has ever seen," he said.

Not all Durham residents share the excitement about downtown development. In the council's public hearing on the city's budget, some residents expressed doubts as to the fairness of funding allocation.

"I think we ought to have some balanced spending for the neighborhoods," said Denise Hester, a representative of the greater Southeast Durham Business District. "Until the lowest boat is raised, [Durham] will not be the city that you envision."

Share and discuss “Council OKs funds for deck” on social media.