Sendek shakes up lineup in hope of greater stability

Most folks in Raleigh value a little stability. Maybe they shouldn't watch N.C. State basketball this year.

For coach Herb Sendek's sixth year, he has shaken up the lineup dramatically. One of his goals for the team is to make all the players as versatile as possible. Because of that, everything is so new that even the returning players do not look the same.

"One of the most engaging aspects of our team right now is our positionless nature," Sendek said. "We've been able to construct a motion-type offense that really takes advantage of that interchangeability. I think any number of guys can bring the ball up the floor for us, and at times, we might even have our forwards do that."

The problem is that no one really knows what the Wolfpack will do this year. There's a big chance they could win a lot of games and be major contenders in the ACC and even make it to the NCAA Tournaments. But there's also the chance that all of this could backfire and the Wolfpack could end up right where they were last year, losing to Duke in the ACC tournament.

State held its annual Red-White scrimmage, which boasted a stronger-than-ever senior Anthony Grundy than ever before. Seniors Archie Miller and Brian Keeter, along with junior Clifford Crawford, also appear to have improved.

"As much as things are new for [the freshmen], we're going through the same things with learning new schemes on offense and defense," said sophomore forward Marcus Melvin. "Some of us pick it up faster than others, so we're able to help each other out."

One positive factor is the heralded arrival of the 6-foot 6, 180-pound Julius Hodge. On Oct. 28, he was chosen by the media as ACC Preseason Rookie of the Year. One cannot talk about the Wolfpack this season without mentioning him. Hodge scored 15 points in the scrimmage, including a last-second layup that won the game for his side.

Sendek also changed the game strategy to be more up-tempo than last year. So another positive is that everyone is physically getting quicker. Also, assistant coach Larry Hunter, is now the No. 1 assistant to Sendek. With all these changes to the Wolfpack, only regular season play will determine whether they were good changes or bad. But Sendek has positive expectations for this year.

"I think everybody who follows the Wolfpack is anxious for us to go to the NCAA tournament," he said. "Right now, that is being held as the threshold measure of success for our basketball program. Nobody wants to accomplish that more than the players and coaches on the staff. That's a goal for us, and we're going to strive with everything we have to make that a reality. If this team can have some early success and gain confidence and continue to make improvements, that's certainly a realistic goal for us."

Share and discuss “Sendek shakes up lineup in hope of greater stability” on social media.