Prosser wants to transfer success at Xavier to Deacons

So one Michigan State football fan says to another fan, "Did you here that the Wolverines are going to play their home games on cardboard this season?"

"Why's that?" the other responds.

"Because Michigan always looks better on paper."

The above statement could very easily be applied to the Wake Forest Demon Deacons of the last few seasons.

But this season, under the guidance of new coach Skip Prosser, the Demon Deacons hope to shed the underachieving label.

"I hoping that the way that the year ended up, and in all honesty, for the seniors the way their three years ended up, that they would approach this year with a tremendous sense of urgency," Prosser said. "We need to atone for what hasn't been done the last few years, and I can't dwell on what happened. I taught history for 13 years. I know there isn't much we can do about it."

Prosser arrives in Winston-Salem after a very successful seven-year tenure as the coach of Xavier University.

Under Prosser's guidance, Xavier posted a 148-65 record, and won 20 or more games seven times.

Prosser's primary task this season may be to get more out of 6-foot-9 forward Darius Songaila.

Songaila's impressive play in the 2000 summer Olympics led many to believe he would be a dominant force in the conference last season.

But marred by consistent foul trouble, Songaila average 13.2 points and only 6.2 rebounds.

"We really need him to stay on the floor," Prosser said. "He's going to play a lot of minutes. He's our best scorer and our best post defender. We've talked a lot about him avoiding foul trouble. I'm hoping he can avoid the unintelligent fouls."

While Songaila will provide the inside presence, the Demon Deacons scoring will come courtesy of junior wingman Josh Howard.

Howard led Wake Forest in scoring as a sophomore, averaging 13.6 points per game. That number figures to improve significantly this season as Prosser plans to change the Demon Deacons style of play.

Typically a half-court team, Prosser plans to have Wake Forest run the up-tempo offense that led Xavier to national prominence.

Howard figures to play a major role in this attack. Anticipating his success in the new system, ACC coaches named Howard to the preseason second-team all-ACC squad.

The Demon Deacons will receive additional scoring punch from Craig Dawson and Northwestern transfer Steve Lepore, who will compete for time at shooting guard.

"It's too early to tell," Prosser said. "But I think they have both done well. I am pleased with both Craig and Steve."

Share and discuss “Prosser wants to transfer success at Xavier to Deacons” on social media.