Blue Devils open season with win

Duke began its season in impressive fashion Sunday, soundly defeating No.7 Texas Tech 85-69 in the opening game of the 2001 State Farm Women's Tip-Off Classic. Five Blue Devils scored in double figures, as the fourth-ranked Blue Devils (1-0) utilized a balanced attack to overwhelm the Red Raiders (0-1) and live up to their high preseason billing.

"I thought overall we played a good game considering our youth, considering it was our first game," Duke coach Gail Goestenkors said. "I thought we handled all of those potentially stressful situations very, very well."

With a team-high 17 points and 10 rebounds, freshman Monique Currie dazzled in her Duke debut. Sophomore Iciss Tillis was similarly impressive, registering a double-double of her own.

But Naismith award-candidate Alana Beard had a relatively quiet game for the Blue Devils, scoring just 10 points. Her numbers paled in comparison to the hefty totals of Jia Perkins, her Texas Tech counterpart, who registered 27 points and eight rebounds in a losing effort.

Beard, however, wasn't bothered by not posting the stunning numbers to which most fans are accustomed.

"I think any time we can get five or six players in double figures we're going to win the game," Beard said. "I'm at the point; I want to distribute the ball, and my teammates worked hard to get open."

Though too often a predominantly perimeter team last year, Duke exhibited tremendous ability in the post area in Sunday's contest, particularly in the first half, when the Blue Devils tallied 30 points in the paint. Duke also outrebounded the Red Raiders 24-16, as it cruised to a 44-34 half-time lead.

"We talked about that at halftime--that we really didn't do a very good job of keeping the basketball out [of the paint], or guarding them very well when they caught it there," Texas Tech coach Marsha Sharp said.

The Red Raiders began the second half with noticeable ferocity, attacking the glass and generally outhustling the Blue Devils to every loose ball. Yet, after weathering Texas Tech's initial burst of energy Duke went on its largest run of the game, a 14-2 spurt in which the Blue Devils played up tempo, displayed remarkable athleticism.

"In practice we've actually been working more in half court then in full court situations," Goestenkors said. "I told the team we'll build up our fast break. So, for us to run the way we did today--I think it's a good sign of things to come."

Duke excelled in the open floor throughout the contest, exhibiting few signs of fatigue despite the rapid pace of play. Afterwards players pointed to their preseason workouts with conditioning coach Jeff Howser.

"We talking about that in the locker room," Tillis said. "We were like, Othis one's for Howser.'"

Although the 12-point run stretched Duke's lead to 22, Texas Tech continued to play hard even in the face of such a large deficit.

"We got the big lead and I think we thought the game was over," Goestenkors said. "Texas Tech is an exceptional team, and they're never going to say die. They came right back at us."

While acknowledging the Red Raiders' tenacity, Duke's head coach also pointed to several mental lapses as reasons for Duke's inability to put away Texas Tech, who would eventually claw to within 11 points with two minutes remaining.

"I was just very frustrated because we lost our focus," Goestenkors said. "Anytime you miss layups, turn the basketball over, which we did, and miss box outs it's about focus."

Though somewhat agitated about her team's mental lapses, Goestenkors, and many other observers in Cameron Indoor Stadium, were most impressed with Tillis' tremendous play. With her driving layups and behind-the-back dribbling Tillis electrified fans and fellow teammates alike. However, the 6-foot-4 center also demonstrated toughness under the boards, grabbing 11 rebounds.

"I knew last year that we were lacking a post player, so I just have to suck it up and say that I want to be that presence in the post," she said. "I think I'll always be a finesse player, but I think you can be a finesse player and you can be aggressive."

Tillis will have help in the form of freshman Wynter Whitley. Although her debut might not have been as sparkling as Currie's, Whitley certainly performed well, scoring 11 points and, more significantly, holding Plenette Pierson, Texas Tech's heralded power forward to just 10

"I thought Wynter did a great job," Goestenkors said. "She does so many things on the defensive end with her physical style of play that people don't really notice. She played excellent defense today."

Share and discuss “Blue Devils open season with win” on social media.