Bell, Tennyson debate at forum

With the election only four days away, citizens of Durham got a final chance to question the mayoral candidates and compare their stances at an open forum last night.

Bill Bell and incumbent Nick Tennyson debated a variety of issues prompted by audience questions, focusing primarily on development, crime and government accountability.

Both candidates championed "smart" growth--growth that takes into account the infrastructure necessary to support it. Bell placed more emphasis on developing the inner city and downtown. He said the City Council should redirect its efforts toward rebuilding the inner city.

"We've got our priorities wrong, and we need to change if we're going to move [Durham] to the next level," he said. "If Durham's going to rise, we're all going to be in the same ocean."

Tennyson agreed about the need to invest in the inner city, but countered by saying that growth on the periphery of the city is necessary in order to provide the money for such an investment.

Many audience questions turned the debate toward crime, with some faulting Tennyson for reducing the crime rate through his annexation policies rather than by addressing the problem of inner-city crime.

Tennyson stressed the need to take direct action against crime, and denied using annexation as a tool to reduce the crime rate. He said he has focused on numbers rather than the rate.

"Anything about using the crime rate opens up a circus," he said.

Tennyson also faulted the judicial system and emphasized the need for further state and federal cooperation to reduce crime.

Bell said that crime reduction must be a community effort, though he did say that in the areas over which the City Council has control, specifically recreation and the police force, it could be more responsive. He said he would support a heightened police presence in high-crime areas and more extracurricular activities for at-risk youth.

Bell also addressed Durham's low clearance rate as an important part of the city's crime problem.

In the face of the ongoing small business loan scandal, several questions focused on government accountability. Bell proposed the hiring of an independent auditor who would report to the City Council rather than to the city manager, as under the current system. The proposal was met with strong support by the audience, and Tennyson, expressing regret at having to speak second, said he agreed completely.

One audience member asked Tennyson if he was going to remove the person who caused the problems, but the current mayor said such an action was not the final answer.

"One person's removal or resignation doesn't absolve us from responsibility," he said. "The audit has established major problems for which major changes are the only answer."

The candidates also addressed the possibility of completely merging city and county governments, but neither said the merger was a top priority.

In closing, Bell presented his complete vision for Durham, which is composed of lower crime, balanced development and a vibrant inner city.

Tennyson addressed the need for pragmatic, long-term solutions.

"Dealing with our problems is not an overnight, quick-fix answer," he said.

Share and discuss “Bell, Tennyson debate at forum” on social media.