Thefts in Medical Science Research Building reported

An employee reported that between 5:10 p.m. Oct. 5 and 12 noon Oct. 6, someone entered a room on the second floor of the Medical Science Research Building and stole $500 worth of silver Mettler flat-top scales, said Maj. Robert Dean of the Duke University Police Department. Police believe that the room was secured and there were no signs of forced entry.

An employee reported that between the hours of 11:40 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. Oct. 5, someone stole her $20 unsecured wallet containing $500 cash and a driver's license from a room in the subbasement of MSRB. Dean said it is unknown at this time if this theft is related.

Light pole damaged: Between 6:55 and 6:57 p.m. Oct. 5, someone knocked down a $1,000 light pole near Round Table, Dean said. The damage is believed to have been done by a vehicle.

Rocket crashed: At 6:54 p.m. Oct. 6, campus police responded to a report of vandalism in progress in front of Sigma Nu, Dean said. A $100 rocket made of wood and garbage bags had been vandalized. It was reported that one of the subjects responsible for the damage was in a group of ten to 15 people wearing black robes. Others in this group stood around while the offender was knocking the rocket down.

The offenders were described as white males, 21 to 26 years of age, and members of the Society of Black Robed Individuals. The group ran in the direction of Sigma Alpha Epsilon. Some of the offenders were located in front of SAE and identified. Others ran into the fraternity section and were not apprehended. The case is still under investigation.

Gate damaged: A campus police officer discovered that between 7:30 and 8:19 p.m. Oct. 6, someone had damaged the iron gate--by pushing it off its runner--and had broken off the wooden gate arms from the Blue Zone parking lot, causing approximately $560 in damage, Dean said.

Vehicle entered: A student reported that between 12 noon Sept. 21 and 4 p.m. Sept. 25, while his secured vehicle was parked on Flowers Drive at the rear of Trent Drive Hall, someone cut a hole into the $50 canvas roof of his vehicle and stole his $75 Kraco cassette tape deck with a purple face plate, two Alpine stereo box speakers totaling $75, a $150 Optimus XL 260, 250 watt, four channel amplifier and $20 in miscellaneous stereo system wiring, Dean said.

Purse snatched: A student reported that between 2:30 and 2:45 a.m. Oct. 6, she left her purse in the back seat of her friend's unsecured vehicle while it was parked in front of Wayne Manor, Dean said. Her $60 mini-bookbag purse, containing her $30 wallet, credit cards, $100 Motorola cellular phone, checkbook, $50 cash, driver's license, keys, Duke ID and other papers were stolen.

Purse taken: An employee reported that between 2:05 and 2:35 p.m., someone stole her unsecured purse, which contained $245 in cash, from the fifth floor of North Pavilion.

Laundry room vandalized: An employee reported that between 5 p.m. Oct. 5 and 7 a.m. Oct. 6, someone caused about $150 worth of damage by kicking two holes in the laundry room door and pulling down a florescent light, breaking the bracket, in the back hall subbasement of SAE, Dean said.

Mirror smashed: At 1:30 a.m. Oct. 6, Duke police discovered that someone broke a $100 mirror located in the West Union Building's men's bathroom, Dean said.

Vehicle raided: A student reported that between 6 and 7 a.m. Sept. 19, someone stole his personal checks and four CDs, worth a total of $60, Dean said. The items were stolen from the victim's unsecured vehicle, parked at 205 Oregon St.

Share and discuss “Thefts in Medical Science Research Building reported” on social media.