Sounds from a different era

An English serpent--a musical instrument dating from around 1780--lies in the office of Brenda Neece, curator of the museum at the Mary Duke Biddle Music Building.

"It's almost as old as our country," Neece said.

The brass instrument, along with more than 400 other rare musical instruments from the late 18th century through the early 20th century, is part of the Eddy collection. Donated by Norman Eddy, it includes 260 woodwinds, 140 brass instruments, 12 pianos, six free reeds and four strings, as well as 90 paintings by Eddy himself.

The University received the instruments last fall, about 30 years after Eddy's wife committed to donating them, and just months after his death. The music aficionado received his doctorate in sociology from Duke in 1944.

The Eddy collection, some of which is on display in the music building, is unique because students can not only view but also play the instruments, said Neece.

"When you compare the Eddy collection to other museums, they have beautiful, rare instruments, but you can't play them, and students don't get to touch them. Here, students get to play them.... Dr. Eddy left this collection to be used," Neece said.

Although the music department also has replicas of harpsichords, fortepianos and tracker organs, Neece said the Eddy instruments are different because they are originals. She emphasized the educational nature of the collection, pointing in particular to Eddy's paintings.

Share and discuss “Sounds from a different era” on social media.