Fuller scores lone goal as women's soccer beats 'Pack

RALEIGH -- In a battle between two ACC rivals, Duke ended its five-game conference losing streak last night with a hard fought 1-0 victory over N.C. State at the WRAL Soccer Complex.

Despite controlling the flow of the game, the Blue Devils (6-8, 1-5 in the ACC) squandered a bevy of second-half opportunities to seize a comfortable lead, and were forced to sweat out late scoring threats from the Wolfpack (7-7, 0-5).

"Any ACC win is a quality win," Duke coach Robbie Church said. "It was not the prettiest game you have ever seen, but you just have to roll your sleeves up."

Junior midfielder Carly Fuller scored the Blue Devils' lone goal in the contest's 18th minute. Her superbly struck free kick taken from 30 yards out first cleared a wall of Wolfpack defenders and then dipped under the cross bar to find the net's left corner.

"I was really excited," Fuller said. "I stepped back, and it was just a great hit. Right when I hit it, I was like OYes!'"

Duke goalkeeper Thora Helgadottir preserved the lead with several brilliant saves. Although passively watching her team play in N.C. State's half of the field for much of the contest, Helgadottir occasionally came under heavy pressure. In the 34th minute, she sprawled to deny the Wolfpack's Adrienne Barnes from point-blank range, thereby allowing Duke to retain its advantage.

"These games aren't any easier for the goalkeeper, just because we have control of the game," Helgadottir said. "We are always afraid of losing focus."

After seeing his team rely on Helgadottir's sterling performance so as not to relinquish its slim margin, Church expressed frustration at his squad's inability to finish off opposing teams.

"We had control most of the game, but we can't put anybody away," he said. "We could not get the second goal. That's what we talked about at halftime, but we could not get the second goal."

Last year, Duke's inability to finish off the Wolfpack resulted in a bitter 2-1 defeat. N.C. State scored two goals in the final 15 minutes, stunning the Blue Devils. Consequently, as Wednesday's game wore on, the Blue Devil players felt an acute sensation of deja vu.

"Sitting on the sidelines I was really anxious," sophomore midfielder Gwendolyn Oxenham said. "It was definitely nerve racking."

However, desperately needing to win in order to keep alive their hopes at receiving a postseason birth, the Blue Devils responded to the tense situation.

"We all came out and knew that this was pretty much make it or break it," Fuller said. "If we don't win today, we are done. They were in the same position we were, so we had to battle."

Certainly the contest's intensity reflected its dire importance. Both sides challenged one another with reckless abandon as the fouls quickly piled up. The grudge match also featured a running dialogue, as coaches and players alike vocalized their frustrations.

Late in the contest, both teams' competitive fires burned brightly. Duke assistant coach Carla Overbeck received a yellow card for arguing with the head official, and numerous N.C. State players were warned for the use of language as they vehemently protested foul calls.

Oxenham drew many of the linesmen's disputed decisions. Her speed and deft maneuvering along the right wing repeatedly victimized opposing defenders, who in turn were left clutching at her jersey.

Despite being repeatedly knocked to the ground, the stoic Oxenham remained quiet, in marked contrast to the N.C. State players' vigorous but unproductive objections.

Reminded of such verbal objections after the match's conclusion, a weary Oxenham offered a wry grin as she savored her team's victory.

"It was the kind of game I like," she said. "It was very physical, and there was a lot of trash talking. That makes life interesting."

Share and discuss “Fuller scores lone goal as women's soccer beats 'Pack” on social media.