Cila later: Sophomore scores twice in rout of 'Pack

It proved to be a very productive fall break for the men's soccer team, as the Blue Devils (6-5, 2-1 in the ACC) knocked off the N.C. State Wolfpack 2-0, Sunday in Koskinen Stadium.

"I think we played very well," Duke coach John Rennie said. "We had a few guys that didn't play in the game due to injury, and we had some new guys out on the field. I think we played pretty darn well all things considered."

The Blue Devils did not waste any time taking control of the game. Just over nine minutes into the game, striker Jordan Cila received a feed from midfielder Donald McIntosh outside the box and banged it into the corner to give Duke a 1-0 lead.

"Donald made a really good play," Cila said. "He flipped the ball over the defender and played me a through ball. I had a defender in front of me. I was thinking about taking him one-on-one, but I saw an opening in the corner, so I took the shot. Luckily, it was a well-hit shot."

Despite putting up a very strong performance, it was not an entirely flawless afternoon for Cila. Seventeen minutes into the game he was unable to convert a penalty kick. Wolfpack goalkeeper Mitchell Watson made a great save, and the score remained 1-0.

"I pick my corner before I take the shot," Cila said. "It usually works out, but the goalie had my number the whole time. He was moving before I took the shot. I should have looked up and gone to the other corner. I was unlucky on that. I tired not to get too upset, but it was in my head for a while."

However, in what proved to be his afternoon, the sophomore striker quickly redeemed himself and erased any memory of the missed PK. Twenty-four minutes into the half, he scored his second goal of the afternoon on an excellent feed from Demetrio Sanchez, and the Blue Devils took a 2-0 lead.

"Demetrio played a great ball from the sideline," Cila said. "He played a low-driven ball, and luckily it got through to me. It was an easy ball to finish. I was right in front of the net. All I had to do was tap it in."

Goalkeeper Scott Maslin kept N.C. State off the board for the last 21 minutes of the half, and Duke entered the intermission holding the 2-0 lead.

"We'd have liked to have been up three going into the half," Rennie said. "But any time you go into the half up 2-0 against an ACC team you have done a very good job."

The Blue Devils' offense did not find the back of the net in the second half, but good team defense and yet another shutout from goalkeeper Scott Maslin allowed Duke to maintain its lead.

Maslin has now held five of Duke's 11 opponents scoreless. With this victory, he dropped his goals-against average to a minuscule 0.85 for the season.

Rennie thought the victory particularly impressive as the Blue Devils had to contend with numerous injury problems.

"We had some key injuries," Rennie said. "Adam Guren and Matt Ahumada didn't play, and they're two guys that have been getting 90 minutes a game. Scott Noble is out, and Victor Victorsson was only able to play 15 minutes. Considering all of that, I think we did a great job."

The win moves the Blue Devils over .500 for both the season and in the conference. It is also Duke's second consecutive victory.

"We have won a couple of games in a row now," Rennie said. "But this is only one victory, only a step. We'd like to get on a streak. This win sets us in the right direction."

The next test for the Blue Devils comes tonight, when they travel to Buies Creek, South Carolina to take on the Campbell Camels (2-7-1).

While the Camels are not a formidable opponent, Duke may have difficulty maintaining focus on the task at hand.

This Saturday the Blue Devils take on the No. 2 Virginia Cavaliers (10-0-1, 4-0) at Koskinen Stadium. Despite having a matchup with the best team in the conference on the horizon, the Blue Devils do not believe they will have trouble keeping their minds on Campbell for the time being.

"We're not looking past Campbell at all," Cila said. "We can't. We're 6-5 right now, and we're in a must-win situation. In any must-win situation, you can't look past a team. We know that we have to go in there and win the game, because it's so important for us to have a three-game winning streak going into the Virginia game. Especially because of the way they're playing right now, they haven't given up a goal in seven games."

Share and discuss “Cila later: Sophomore scores twice in rout of 'Pack” on social media.