University needs to limit sprinkler use during rain

I would just like to applaud the University for the discretion they use in hydration techniques for the quad. After the torrential downpour Monday, the insatiable thirst of our lush landscaping had to be doused once again by the sprinkler system

If I could borrow the wise words of Mos Def: "Tell your crew use the [water] in wise amounts since it's the New World Water; and every drop counts. You can laugh and take it as a joke if you wanna. But it don't rain for four weeks some summers. And it's about to get real wild in the half...."

I would like to recommend that the University join the Enviornmental Protection Agency's Water Alliances for Voluntary Efficiency program and follow the ranks of Columbia University, The Johns Hopkins University and Prairie-Hills Elementary School District 144 in Markham, Ill. By participating in the WAVE program, we can all do our part to promote the efficient use of water in the commercial and institutional sectors. If we reduce consumption, then we'll have enough water saved up for a rainy day. Seriously, we need to improve our landscaping efficiency. Use a little less water and a little more common sense.

Mark Pike

Trinity '04

Share and discuss “University needs to limit sprinkler use during rain” on social media.