Perkins steps up security in hallway outside cluster

A theft last summer at Perkins Library has led to the installation of two 24-hour security cameras and forced library officials to seek more secure ways to set up the library's numerous exhibits.

During the incident, someone stole a 16-by-20 inch photograph from the hallway outside Perkins' first floor computer cluster.

Robert Byrd, director of Rare Books, Manuscripts, and Special Collections, said that as a result of the theft, library officials have "changed the method of attaching works to the wall and installed 24-hour surveillance of the area."

Although this area is one of the only ones equipped with such strong security measures, Byrd hopes it will be enough to deter others from attempting similar crimes. He declined to discuss details about potential security concerns in other areas of the library.

"[The new system] was a response to a particular security problem," Byrd explained.

The theft of the 1989 photograph by Lynn Saville appears to be the first such incident at Perkins. "From time to time, things are stolen such as backpacks or laptops, but to my knowledge, nothing like this has occurred before," said Maj. Robert Dean, a spokesperson for the Duke University Police Department. Dean noted that police have not yet arrested anyone in connection with the theft.

However, this does not mean that the library has given up hope. Byrd says he is currently "working to supply the Duke police department with a copy of Saville's photograph."

He hopes the copy will open up some new leads for the police department. Until then, Byrd and other library officials look to the new security measures to keep events such as this one from happening again in the future.

Share and discuss “Perkins steps up security in hallway outside cluster” on social media.