Blue Devils hunt for first win this season against UVa.

Twenty-two games ago, the football team marched into Scott Stadium in Charlottesville, Va., and came away with a 24-17 double overtime victory.

After coming from behind 17-10 to tie the score in regulation, Duke began overtime by missing a field goal and, fortunately for the Blue Devils, Virginia reciprocated on its next possession.

One possession later, Duke was on the Cavs' 7 yard line and landed in the endzone on a botched gimmick play that somehow found the hands of tight end Benjamin Watson. A Lamar Grant interception on the Cavaliers' final try sealed the deal for the first win of the Carl Franks era and the first for the Blue Devils in Charlottesville since Franks played tight end for Duke in 1981.

But that was 22 games ago.

Since then, Duke has won only two games, and currently holds the longest losing streak in the nation--a streak that recently hit 15 games after last weeks' 44-7 loss to Northwestern.

This weekend, when the Blue Devils (0-3, 0-1 in the ACC) make the return trip for a 1 p.m. game Saturday against former New York Jets coach Al Groh and the Cavaliers (2-1, 1-0), they can only hope the magic from two years ago somehow finds them again.

"We need to get some turnovers on defense; that's going to be critical," said Franks. "We need to make sure we take care of the ball on offense. We need to score when we cross the 50 [yard line] whether it's a field goal or a touchdown. Whatever it is, offensively we've got to score. Defensively we've got to show that last week was not the way we tackle people. We've got to tackle better."

Since their last meeting in the Old Dominion State, the two programs could not be on more different trajectories.

While Duke has been one of the worst teams in Division I, UVa. has been on the rise, going to bowls in the last two seasons and recently upsetting then-No. 18 Clemson 26-24 last weekend in South Carolina.

That win gave the Cavaliers a reason to believe they can make some serious noise in the ACC this season.

"We are in the hunt. It's a long hunt, but we're in it," said Groh, who last faced Franks while coaching Wake Forest to a 46-26 loss during the Duke coach's playing years. "There has to be a first step to raise the level of expectations and to learn the difference between really trying hard and competing. When you compete, you find a way to win, whatever it might be."

Duke will also be looking for a way to win, but unfortunately for the Blue Devils, they may be a little short-handed in their efforts.

Two-sport star Reggie Love may be out with a pulled hamstring he suffered during a break away play against Northwestern. Franks noted that Love has been resting more during practice in the hopes of having him on Saturday; however, if he plays it will probably only be sparingly.

"He might be back," Franks said of his wideout. "We'd rather not have him practice today and then play on Saturday. We just need to rest him a little bit."

However, Franks would rather not concentrate on injuries, but instead wants to get his team ready to a play a physical game in the trenches. "It will be a physical game. We're going to have to be physical," said Franks, adding that Virginia's offensive and defensive line are its biggest strength's.

However, the game will not be easy for Virginia either. When the Blue Devils have the ball, the Cavs' will have to concentrate on shutting down running back Chris Douglas. Franks noted that Douglas' increased strength, coupled with the unexpectedly good play of the offensive line have lead to Duke's vastly improved rushing game. Douglas currently ranks fifth in the ACC in total yardage with 199.

They will also have to deal with a defense that has shown flashes of brilliance throughout the season, holding then No. 5 Florida State to zero points in the first quarter.

On the other side of the ball, the Blue Devils' cornerbacks will have to contend with the ACC's best wide receiver, former Henrico High School standout Billy McMullen. McMullen has caught 20 receptions, five touchdowns and gained 238 yards in three games.

"They've got a great wide receiver who makes a lot of plays for them," Franks said of McMullen. "He's leading the league in three statistical categories."

All those facts combined, however, the Blue Devils are still confident they can repeat their magic from 1999.

"The season's not over. We have eight more games left," Douglas said.

Share and discuss “Blue Devils hunt for first win this season against UVa.” on social media.