University hosts over 70 summer camp sessions

For many students, whether traveling or simply spending time at home, summertime means taking a break. But for the University, the work keeps on coming; one of the largest focuses during the summer are the more than 70 sessions of summer camps.

Camps, which are each run by a different director or coach, vary from those like the Talent Identification Program for the intellectually gifted to tennis and basketball camps, where campers work with some of the best coaches in the country.

For administrators, the transition from University mode to camp mode is not necessarily an easy one. And it relies in large part on the work of Conference Services, a division that coordinates interaction between the camps.

"For the most part each individual camp sets their rules and schedule, but the one big rule that we have is that camps must maintain at least a 15-to-one ratio between campers and counselors," said James Hodges, manager of Conference Services. "The other things we do are coordinate eating schedules and living space. We also have to deal with conflicts [between camps] which sometimes arise."

With more than 1,000 campers on campus during each session, it becomes impossible for each camp to eat at the same time, so Conference Services must coordinate dining plans amongst the programs. With so many different sessions, not everyone gets exactly what they want.

"We divide it up a little so that campers on West Campus eat between the Great Hall and the Oak Room," Hodges said.

"But we can't give every camp the exact time they want. Obviously when you get a camp like basketball that has about 600 kids for each week-long session, you have to look out for that. Mostly it works out okay because sports camps that are outside want to eat earlier than the ones inside."

Once Conference Services gets food and other logistics running smoothly, however, they still have to manage inter-camp relationships.

"Sometimes we run into a OHe said, she said' issue between camps, but it's never usually that serious," Hodges said. "The biggest thing is groups leaving doors and windows open; then problems occur."

As difficult as managing camps might be, Hodges said they are essential for many employees and also a good source of recognition for the University. Camps help Dining Services and the University's housing offices by allowing them to operate yearly, rather than employing nine-month workers. Camps also help subsidize coaches' income, especially those in non-revenue sports.

"Since coaches are historically not the highest paid people, financially, it makes a big difference, and it's really nice to supplement the income," said Jay Lapidus, men's tennis coach and co-director of the tennis camp.

"Camps are great for prospective students because it introduces them to Duke and lets them spend a week on campus. It's also good to provide an introduction to sports for local kids. These are not the type of camps that we land recruits from, they are mostly just for fun."

Share and discuss “University hosts over 70 summer camp sessions” on social media.