Hannemann finishes as top amateur in U.S. Women's Open

Capping off an amazing month of golf, NCAA champion Candy Hannemann won low amateur at last weekend's U.S. Women's Open, beating fellow collegiate Natalie Gulbis by one stroke. Hannemann finished the tournament with a score of 291, 11-over par and tied for 31st place.

Had Hannemann competed as a professional, she would have won over $20,000, but her amateur status prevented her from accepting prize money. However, after her round an elated Hannemann focused only on the prestigious honor.

"It was awesome," Hannemann said. "You can't even explain it. It's such a great feeling. It's such a great honor."

Although Sunday's exciting finish made Hannemann's accomplishment all the more special, earlier in the round she appeared to have all but locked up low amateur status.

She played the first 14 holes at even par, striking the ball extremely well and outplaying her playing partner, LPGA veteran Cindy Figg-Currier. However, after three consecutive bogeys, Hannemann needed a par on the 18th hole to avoid tying Gulbis.

Watching from the sidelines, Duke coach Dan Brooks felt confident in Hannemann's ability to concentrate, having watched her play a multitude of big matches.

"You watch Candy and she gets this calm whenever that buzz is in the air," Brooks said. "She actually starts to slow down a little bit. She doesn't get quick and jerky."

When later asked how she felt on the 18th hole, Hannemann confirmed her coach's predictions.

"I was feeling calm," Hannemann said. "I know that's when I play my best golf. That's how I felt on 18. No matter what, I've gained, and there was nothing to lose, really."

Hannemann nearly didn't qualify to play during the weekend. After a fierce rain storm forced the suspension of play during Friday's second round, the Brazil native had to conclude her round at 7 a.m. Saturday. Needing to play the last two holes in no more than 2-over par, Hannemann immediately double-bogeyed the difficult 17th, leaving no room for error. She managed to par 18, procuring a spot in the weekend's field with a total of 6-over par.

"It was hard, especially so early in the morning," Hannemann said. "I was a little nervous. I knew I was right on the bubble."

After making the cut, it appeared that Hannemann would be battling for second place amongst the four surviving amateurs. Stephanie Keever's dazzling play during the first two rounds had her in a tie for eighth place at 1-over par, and positioned her to challenge the leaders. But Keever shot a catastrophic 83 in the third round, eliminating her chances at low amateur and opening the door for Hannemann and Gulbis.

Despite Keever's outstanding play during the first two rounds, Hannemann set her sights on being low amateur as soon as she made the cut.

"I'm proud of the way I handled things, especially when it got tough. I was able to stay focused," Hannemann said.

At the tournament's conclusion, Hannemann joined Open champion Karrie Webb at the awards presentation to receive the gold medal presented to the low amateur. During Webb's victory speech, the two-time champion even singled out Hannemann, congratulating Duke's rising senior on an excellent tournament.

"She has had an unbelievable couple of weeks," Webb told the crowd, before turning to face Hannemann. "I'm sure that this week just topped it all off, so congratulations, Candy."

Many amateurs might turn professional after receiving such praise from one of the best female golfers in the world. But despite her terrific showing at golf's premier championship, Hannemann is excited to return to Duke for senior season.

"It's hard to go back to school, but at the same time it feels good because it takes me away from everything, from all this," Hannemann said, gesturing toward the 18th green, which only 30 minutes before played host to the United States Open trophy ceremony.

"Duke gives me such a good balance, so it's good to go back to school and live a normal life away from all this hectic stuff."

Share and discuss “Hannemann finishes as top amateur in U.S. Women's Open” on social media.