Battier could be selected among top 3 in draft, experts say

The Chronicle

Around this time two years ago, Chicago Bulls general manager Jerry Krause made it his hobby to be seen in public with a little grin on his face that seemed be saying, "I know who I'm picking in the draft, but I'm not telling because it's more fun to make you guess."

Many people thought Steve Francis or Lamar Odom would be the top choice, but when the dust settled, it was Elton Brand who appeared in a Bulls uniform on opening day.

This year, it's Michael Jordan's turn with the Washington Wizards to toy around with the top pick in another draft with more declared underclassmen than available slots in the entire draft. Again, there is no clear cut No. 1-not to mention an easy two, three, four, five, six or seven pick.

However, while Krause probably had Brand in mind a few days before the 1999 draft, Jordan's mind might not be made up until the 11th hour on June 27.

Right now, most experts agree his Airness is choosing between high school standouts Kwame Brown, Eddy Curry and Tyson Chandler, college stars Eddie Griffin and Rodney White, Spanish big man Pau Gasol and of course, Duke's reigning national player of the year, Shane Battier, who has nearly double the college experience of the other six combined.

"[Working out in Washington] went well," Lon Babby, Battier's agent, said, after his client visited Jordan and the Wizards Tuesday. "He's had terrific workouts all over. He's in the top group of about six or seven in what's a very unusual draft because there is no consensus. So we may not know anything until Wednesday."

In a nearly guardless draft, with none of the elite group measuring smaller than Battier's 6-foot-8 frame, it is hard to project a team's pick based solely on its needs. Many teams with top picks have been asking themselves what type of player they want rather than what position they need.

The choice is not easy. On one hand, a team can chose a player like Brown, Curry or Chandler, who likely won't produce next season or even a few seasons after that, but could be the next star of the NBA. Then there's the Griffin-White-Gasol group, who all have college or-in Gasol's case-European playing experience, but will still need some serious work before they make a large impact.

Lastly, in a league by himself is Battier, not the most talented player in the draft, but a developed, proven leader who may be the only starter and is considered the only player in the top group guaranteed to make an impact next year.

"I think he's the most proven person in the draft," Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski said. "But then some people won't take that. They might take what they think would be a future."

The Wizards, however, haven't hinted at what they want. If Jordan and NBA great Charles Barkley return to D.C. next year, a honed Battier seems the likely choice if Washington wants to win now.

Still, while Jordan has spoken fondly of Battier, he may try to rebuild his team around Griffin, White or Curry, his friend and workout partner. He has also talked about trading the top pick, especially if he thinks he can get one of these players later down the line.

"If Washington is going to keep the pick, then they should draft Battier," ESPN analyst Andy Katz said recently. "But they're likely going to package the pick. Eddie Griffin seems to be the early favorite for the pick. But it all depends on what Jordan is going to do."

Should the Wizards pass on Battier, he will probably be taken third by Atlanta. Hawks coach Lon Kruger was not pleased with last year's first round pick, DeMarr Johnson, a freshman from Cincinnati, and has hinted that he will take the mature Battier should Jordan pass him up.

"Everyone knew he was a mature and a great leader before the draft, so he's been fortunate because that's one thing he hasn't had to try and get across," Babby said. "Intangibles like that bring a huge upside to any team, and Shane definitely has a big upside."

Some teams worry about Battier's relative lack of athleticism and think he may have already reached his peak. Others disagree, especially after seeing some of the other players work out.

Not only has the man described by some as a small version of Tim Duncan added 10 pounds to his frame, but he's also known as the best shooter in the draft. Furthermore, now that the NBA will allow zone defense next season, Battier's three-point shot should be able to thrive-a rare, but coveted trait for a big man.

"I think when you're a good player people try to figure out things you can't do," Philadelphia GM Billy King said. "But as you look to see over his four years how he's gotten better, those people who are looking at [Shane's athleticism] as a knock will be the ones that will lose out."

College basketball analyst Seth Davis agreed.

"I haven't heard anyone say he's going lower than three or four," Davis said. "Everytime he's stepped on a basketball court Shane has done nothing but help himself from what he did in the NCAA Tournament."

For now, though, Battier will have to wait until Wednesday night to see what color will replace the royal blue he has worn the last four years.

"I don't think he has a favorite and if he did he wouldn't say. He's too smart to do that," Babby said. "He's knows he's going to have a long productive career and right now he's done everything he can do."

Craig Saperstein and Brody Greenwald contributed to this story.

Share and discuss “Battier could be selected among top 3 in draft, experts say” on social media.