Women's golf dominates Greensboro tournament

The Duke women's golf team dominated the Bryan National Collegiate tournament in Greensboro, N.C. this weekend. Even though the Blue Devils won by 23 strokes, they looked mediocre the first two days, shooting 289 Friday and even par 288 Saturday. These two scores, however, were still good enough for a 10 shot lead heading into yesterday's round against competition that was not up to Duke's playing ability.

Freshman Virada Nirapathpongporn, who shot a 1-under-par 71 yesterday, was a key to Duke's success this weekend. Others who contributed well in the final round were freshman Leigh Anne Hardin, who shot a 69, and junior Candy Hannemann, who fired a 4-under 68.

"We knew we didn't have the greatest field, but we played our game and did our best," said Nirapathpongporn. "I was satisfied with how we did, definitely."

In the final day of competition, Duke extended its already sizeable lead and won in impressive fashion while shooting a record-low 9-under-par 279 in the final round.

Coach Dan Brooks did not even need to motivate the team at all for yesterday's record-breaking round, even after a brief return trip to Duke Saturday night for a sports banquet.

"With this group shooting around par on a scoreable golf course, I always feel like we could've done a little bit better, " said Brooks. "When the final day came in at 279, I wasn't surprised. I'm very proud of our team."

Duke's top two golfers, Hannemann and Nirapathpongporn, finished first and second, respectively. Hannemann shot 209 this weekend.

Despite the field's' average play, the Blue Devils stepped up and demonstrated why they deserve their top national ranking by simply dominating the mediocre field.

"I personally just went out and said I wanted to play the best I could, " said Nirapathpongporn of her final round. "Even though we were up by 10 we still played our best."

Senior veteran Kalen Anderson was very pleased with the team's performance this weekend. Anderson shot a 73 in the final round and 220 for the tournament.

"I think it was good to get some low numbers up on the board and to set some standards for the rest of the way, " said Anderson.

With the victory, the Blue Devils should retain their top ranking going into the ACC championship April 20-22. After that, they have the regional championships and then, possibly, the national championships.

"We set out to win every single one, " said Anderson. "People are always going to be out to beat you when you're No. 1."

Unfortunately for the rest of the field Duke walked away with an outstanding performance and the first-place trophy.

Share and discuss “Women's golf dominates Greensboro tournament” on social media.