Vegetarians forage for food at University eateries

Vegetarians are giving Dining Services some food for thought.

With a growing national trend toward vegetarianism and the impending food services takeover by ARAMARK, vegetarian students have been working closely with Duke Student Government and the Duke University Student Dining Advisory Committee to better accommodate the needs of on-campus vegetarians and vegans-those who refrain from eating any animal byproducts, such as milk and eggs.

"We can only improve. It can only get better," Student Health and Dining Services Dietician Franca Alphin said. "Everyone will gain, not just vegetarians."

These improvements include posting lists of ingredients for all dishes, preparing non-meat items without butter and, with the arrival of ARAMARK, the installation of a strictly vegetarian food station.

Jim Wulforst, director of dining services, said ARAMARK's vegetarian concept-The Granary-would have kiosks in both the Great Hall and the Marketplace.

"[Alphin] is really trying to focus on the nutritional area of dining. We want to create balanced menus for the entire population," Wulforst said. "We do an adequate job; we want to do better than adequate."

Some vegetarian and vegan students, however, question the adequacy of their dining options.

"We're not really satisfied at all," said sophomore Leila Fusfeld, president of Plan V, Duke's vegetarian cooperative group.

Fusfeld hosts biweekly vegetarian dinners at her Central Campus apartment for Plan V members and any other interested students.

"We're here to study, not cook," Fusfeld said. "If we were satisfied, we wouldn't have Plan V."

Plan V members can also apply for special meal plans that enable them to use a portion of their dining plan points to shop at various food stores like Wellspring Grocery, Harris Teeter and the Durham Co-op.

Fusfeld said that although the co-op's prices are high, she does not mind supporting the non-profit organization.

And while Alphin believes ARAMARK would be capable of improving vegetarian and vegan dining options, she is skeptical of their willingness and commitment to do so.

But a meeting Tuesday with DUSDAC, Alphin, Wulforst and Executive Chef Dave Mason seemed to inspire hope for real changes. At the meeting, DUSDAC chair Jason Freedman, a junior, asked Fusfeld to compile a list of specific requests for items and recipes that vegetarians and vegans would like to see in the Great Hall and the Marketplace.

"We're finding out that things can get done once someone steps forward," Freedman said.

Uncle Harry's General Store has been very receptive to students' suggestions, Fusfeld said. The Central Campus store now carries special vegetarian and vegan items like vegetarian sandwiches, soy milk and Tofu Pups.

Fusfeld compiled a long e-mail of students' opinions about vegetarian dining and the possible effects of ARAMARK and sent it to the DSG Legislature. Freedman read the letter at a DSG meeting prior to the vote endorsing ARAMARK and said it had a large enough effect on DSG members to stir up more awareness and concern about the issue. He said it did not significantly sway the vote.

DSG Vice President for Facilities and Athletics Emily Grey, a sophomore and a vegetarian, is happy that DSG is addressing the needs of Duke's vegetarians and vegans.

Grey has drafted a resolution on the matter and will bring it to the Legislature if the need arises.

But for now, she said she is looking forward to the attention that ARAMARK has promised vegetarians. "They are very willing to work with students," Grey said. "If things work out as planned, this will not just be a side note, but a focus."

Share and discuss “Vegetarians forage for food at University eateries” on social media.