Track travels to Raleigh, Stanford

Duke's men's and women's track teams split up this weekend. While the majority of the athletes competed at the N.C. State's Raleigh Relays, a few competitors traveled to Palo Alto, Calif., for the Stanford Invitational.

Just as she has done all year, senior pole vaulter Jillian Schwartz continued to impress. Competing out west, the Lake Forest, Ill. native came in second in the competition with a vault of 12-11.5.

Junior Katie Atlas also turned in a gutsy performance. Her time of 2:08.77 earned her fifth place in the afternoon 800-meter competition.

Competitors from the men's team did not fare nearly as well at Stanford. Two Blue Devils competed in the afternoon 1500-meter run, with Brendan Fitzgibbon coming in 20th place and Bill Spierdowis finishing 34th. Seth Brennan's time of 14:14.51 earned him 25th place out of a 126-man field.

Closer to home, a few Blue Devils also found success at the Raleigh Relays. Jim Martin placed 10th in the 3000-meter steeplechase with a time of 9:20.50, while Chris Graber placed 18th after finishing in 9:38.14.

For the women, Jodi Schlesinger placed 22nd in the triple jump with a distance of 37-8. In what has become standard, junior Kim Hanauer again broke her school record in the shotput, this time throwing 42-3.

"[Shotput coach] Linda Blutreich is an awesome coach," Hanauer said. "All of our work is paying off."

Next week the Blue Devils play host to athletes from around the nation, as the Duke Invitational occurs April 6-7 at Wallace Wade Stadium.

"I would love to break [the school record] again," Hanauer said. "[At the Duke Invitational] last year, with my friends there-it was awesome."

Share and discuss “Track travels to Raleigh, Stanford” on social media.