Men's golf shoots low, finishes 12th

Despite posting their lowest score of the spring, the No. 19 men's golf team placed 12th at the Cleveland Golf/ASU Invitational last weekend at Forest Hills Golf Club in Augusta, Ga.

The Blue Devils shot a three-day total of 25-over 877 to beat their season's previous best by four strokes, but finished 21 strokes behind champion and host Augusta State.

The Jaguars were led by medalist Oliver Wilson, who shot a second-round 65 on his way to a total of 10-under par 207.

Wilson was also the difference in the team competition, draining a final-round chip on the 18th green to even the Jaguars with No. 7 N.C. State at eight-under par. Augusta State then shot one-under on the opening playoff hole to beat the Wolfpack by three strokes and claim the title.

The Blue Devils began to drop in the standings under breezy conditions yesterday, struggling to a 16-over 300 performance after shooting just nine-over combined for the first two rounds.

Duke was led by junior Matt Krauss, who shot an even-par 72 Friday on his way to a four-over 220 and a tie for 30th place. His teammates played at a similar level, though, as all five Blue Devils finished within three strokes of each other.

Sophomore Leif Olson had the low round for Duke with a second-round 70, but posted a 75 Sunday to finish at 221 and in a tie for 34th. Senior Kevin Streelman opened with a pair of 71s, but struggled to break 80 yesterday and finished a stroke back of Olson.

Share and discuss “Men's golf shoots low, finishes 12th” on social media.