Letter: Students need to expand their musical horizons

Maybe it was the more than pathetic turnout at the De La Soul concert that set me off. Or it could have been the dismal attendance at the 2 Skinee J's concert that really got my blood pumping. Or maybe it's just the sheer number of Dave Matthews Band posters that grace Duke students' dorm walls.

Regardless of the cause, I am disappointed by and annoyed at the lack of excitement for live music on campus. It is virtually unheard of for De La Soul, the widely-proclaimed "originators of hip-hop," to play before anything less than a sold out crowd, let alone in front of only four rows in Page Auditorium. 2 Skinee J's, who have plans to tour with the likes of Redman and Method Man in the upcoming months, faired even worse on a Saturday afternoon in Baldwin Auditorium.

OK, the De La Soul tickets were expensive and yeah, Saturday was a beautiful Spring Day. Come on, suck it up, it's live music we're talking about. If I heard that De La Soul was going to be playing for only $20, I would borrow money, mow lawns or at least skip meals to be able to see them live. And trust me, there will be many more bright and sunny days here in charming Durham, N.C.

I wasn't always as excited about or "into" music as I am now. I used to be the epitome of a groupie-a shameless waste of musical space.

But after my friends finally dragged my skeptical, lazy ass to some shows and I felt the dizzying energy of the bands and the intensity of the crowds, I realized the power of live music. Heads bob, bass vibrates, sweat pours, music swells and your body and mind are taken over by something unexplainable.

You don't need to "know" the band to enjoy a live show. You don't even necessarily need to like the type of music. Take a chance and take advantage of the few bands that do come to our school. Do me a favor, or better yet, do yourselves a favor and go out and give it a shot. Who knows, you might even like it.

Scott Hechinger

Trinity '04

Share and discuss “Letter: Students need to expand their musical horizons” on social media.