Harvard edges men's lacrosse

\

A pair of fourth quarter goals were all Harvard needed to upset the 12th-ranked Blue Devils in Cambridge, Mass. over the weekend.

Although the Blue Devils came into the final period with a 5-4 advantage, they were unable to score. Harvard, however, managed to get two by Duke goalie Matt Breslin, the last of which came when the Crimson's Doug Logigian worked the ball to the top of the box and launched a shot over Breslin's left shoulder with 1:30 left to play.

Although the Blue Devils tried to retaliate and send the game into overtime, they could not get another score thanks to the great play of Harvard goalie Jake McKenna.

The game began with the teams trading first period goals. The Crimson drew first blood when Roger Buttles beat Breslin from the left corner on a low shot to give Harvard an early lead. However, Blue Devils star Greg Patchak returned the favor with a goal of his own at the 10 minute mark.

No goals were scored at the beginning of the second period until Kevin Cassese got a Chris Hartofilis rebound which he quickly fired past McKenna giving Duke a one goal lead. Although Harvard would tie the game in a few minutes later, Cassese scored his second of the game just before time expired to put Duke up 3-2 at half.

Duke scored two more in the next period both off goals by Kevin Brennan, but Harvard managed to score final four to come away with a 6-5 victory.

With their second upset loss of the season the Blue Devils fall to 6-4, while Harvard climbs up to 4-2. Next up for the Blue Devils will be another Ivy league foe when they host Yale April 8.

Share and discuss “Harvard edges men's lacrosse” on social media.