Divinity School still seeking to boost black enrollment

The report released by President Nan Keohane last month on the state of minority representation on campus showed recent declines in the numbers of black students and professors in the Divinity School. School officials credited the decline to a short-term fluctuation rather than a long-term trend and cited ongoing efforts to attract more minorities.

According to the report, the number of black Divinity students reached a peak of 68 in 1998 before falling to 55 in 2000. But Gregory Jones, dean of the Divinity School, said that long-term representation has grown. "About 10 years ago 8 to 9 percent of the students were black," said Jones, noting that currently 13 percent of Divinity students are black. He added that while the number of black faculty members has dropped from six to five in the last year, there again has been an overall increase from three in 1997. In addition, the school currently has a black African scholar, Emmanuel Katongole, as a visiting assistant professor.

"All students and faculty want to see more minority representation," said Willie Jennings, associate dean for academic programs in the Divinity School. "But there is a significant appreciation for those we do have."

Jones credits Jennings with helping to significantly enhance the black presence in the Divinity School. Facing historical as well as financial aid challenges, the ability of the two to work together has been essential, Jones said. Also, Divinity faculty members such as Deotis Roberts-a pioneer of black theology and author of 15 books-helps to attract more minorities, Jones added.

Still, not all minority students are totally content. When asked about her experience at the Divinity School, first-semester student Anna Sayeh from Liberia simply said it was "frustrating." She explained that the small size of the black population is disappointing, but that she is "still hopeful that a change can be made."

Sayeh added that in what she believes to be "an inclusive program," her professors-though they are all white-have been "understanding and concerned about my education."

One of the goals of the Divinity School's strategic plan is to increase the numbers of black faculty members and students, specifically increasing black student enrollment to about 20 percent. Jennings said the school is taking a proactive role in trying to do so, particularly by identifying bright young scholars early and supporting their work, he said. Also, events such as the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. lectures, which took place April 1 through 4 in celebration of the Black Seminarians Union's 30th anniversary, increase visibility of the school's commitment to black student and faculty recruitment.

"Duke compares favorably to other universities' divinity schools, except those in major urban centers where many students attend part-time," Jones said. The Divinity School faces competition from predominantly black local seminaries including the Shaw Divinity School in Raleigh and the Hood Theological Seminary in Salisbury. "They offer weekend and night courses for students who work full-time," Jennings said. "We're more traditional and generally require a full-day commitment."

Jennings added, however, that the Divinity School does have a real strength in the Office of Black Church Studies, which supports aspiring black seminarians. "It is a vibrant intellectual center that will play a leading role in curricular development," he said. Jennings added that the Divinity School has many ties with pastors in the Durham and Raleigh communities who serve as mentors to students.

"A difference in perspective is important in any education," Jones said. "Diversity engages one another in conversation, if it is to be genuine diversity and not a collection of strangers inhabiting separate spheres."

Share and discuss “Divinity School still seeking to boost black enrollment” on social media.