Talented sophomore Walters not seeking personal glory

Just like the women's lacrosse program she represents, Meghan Walters might be young, but she's also very talented.

The 5-foot-11 defender is so talented, in fact, that CLUSA.com already deems the sophomore a preseason first team All-American. Of course, it is only a natural progression one year after being named to the third team All-America squad her freshman season.

Walters was also a high school All-American in lacrosse and swimming and has played for the under-19 U.S. national lacrosse team.

The individual awards speak for themselves. She's pretty good.

For Walters, however, it is not about the individual awards that may come. She says she would easily give up her preseason accolades in return for a national championship. It was that national championship dream that first drew Walters to Durham from Wyndmoor, Penn.

"I want to win a national championship so bad, that's why I came here," Walters said. "I don't really think about the awards and status. I just want to have good team chemistry and get along well with everyone. I want to win-the awards come later and that's just icing on the cake."

But whether Walters gets to taste that cake may depend very much on the strength of her individual performance. Last season, she started in 12 of 17 contests and ranked third on the team in forcing 27 turnovers. She also scored four goals last season and contributed one assists while playing defense.

This season, her ability to live up to her preseason billing is crucial for the Blue Devils and the return to the Final Four that never came last season. Thankfully for Walters, the team is much deeper this year, including three new defenders, providing her and her teammates more time to rest, in addition to more flexibility in running the field. That flexibility and depth could make for a lethal combination.

"We'll be subbing and have a new rotation and fresh legs and lungs," Walters said. "It will allow our team to push the ball in fast-paced games and also keep running. We don't have to rely on a few people, we can rely on everyone."

As Walters knows, relying on everyone also means getting along with everyone and on a team stacked with talent that chemistry also requires a delicate balance. Fortunately for the women's team, that hasn't been a problem. In fact, it was the relationships shared among the team that also drew Walters to Duke.

"I came here two summers in a row and then came on an official visit," Walters said. "The girls were amazing. They were exactly who I wanted to hang out with and they are now my best friends. They could balance academics, athletics and have social lives. It was the best of both worlds."

That coupled with a compelling academic draw Duke over a lot of the nation's top student-athletes has led Walters to Durham, with a program that is still in its relative infancy yet has been to a Final Four.

"Duke was the No. 1 school for me because of great academics and athletics," she said. "They were also the best recruiters out of every school I looked at. They were always in my face, always calling me and writings letter making me feel like I was their No. 1 recruit even if I wasn't.

"[Head coach Kerstin Kimel] sat in my house at dinner when they came to recruit me and told me that we could win a national championship. I saw the look in her eyes and in her face, and she made me believe we could do it."

It is that kind of determination Walters admires. Although she may be talented, Walters is still quick to point out that she needs plenty of practice-especially if she wants to follow in the footsteps of teammate Kate Kaiser and make the U.S. national team.

"My goals are constantly to improve everyday," Walters said. "I have so much to learn to improve and so far to go and there is always something to work on. My goal going into every practice is to get better. I'll play until I can't play anymore and hopefully I'll keep getting better and better. Even the best players in the world have room for improvement."

So what happens to Walters when she's done at Duke? Hopefully a stint on the national team, but after that it is a mystery, even to Walters. One thing is for sure: for now, the laid back redhead is more worried about that so-far elusive national title.

"If I don't play lacrosse I may continue with graduate school, but who knows?" she said. "I'm going to major in history but I have no idea what I want to do. I want to live out my youth as much as I can and whatever happens happens. Maybe I'll coach, maybe graduate school or maybe I'll get a job in the city somewhere and start my real life."

Share and discuss “Talented sophomore Walters not seeking personal glory” on social media.