GPSC considers mentoring ideas

This week's Graduate and Professional Student Council meeting covered everything from international mentoring programs and the upcoming elections to the ever-present issue of parking.

The meeting opened with an announcement from GPSC Vice President Ryan Opel regarding the establishment of a graduate student-faculty roundtable. Opel, a second-year graduate student in law and psychology, explained that the intention of the group is to "bring together the various presidents of student government organizations to provide network knowledge."

Opel was followed by committee reports from Ombudsperson Tomalei Vess and Attorney General Carol Chancey. Both women discussed the university's attempts to rectify the parking problem. Vess said the current parking situation will worsen with anticipated building extensions on the Divinity School scheduled to start within the next two years.

Vess continued with a review of the University Schedule Committee's attempts to lengthen the reading period for undergraduates. Vess explained that "a proposal was created giving undergraduate students a third reading period in the middle of exams week." She added that the committee endorsed this plan because it does not add to the time allotted for exam week or cut into the semester.

Maria Park, Commencement Speaker Committee representative, again requested nominations for a guest speaker for the 2002 commencement ceremony. Park said the committee wanted to "avoid political figures, as that is all Duke students see at undergraduate commencement ceremonies."

The meeting continued with guest speaker Jessica Anduiza, a program assistant at the International House. Anduiza asked GPSC for feedback on the possible creation of a mentoring program for international graduate students. The group seemed to support the idea of a group mentoring program, while GPSC President Cybelle McFadden proposed the combination of several forms of mentoring.

Opel followed with an announcement of the upcoming Gradhoops, a charity basketball tournament to be held in Cameron Indoor Stadium. McFadden closed with requests for nominations for GPSC elections, scheduled for March 19.

Share and discuss “GPSC considers mentoring ideas” on social media.