Battier becomes legend

From the time warm-ups ended until the post game celebration, last night's game was all about No. 31.

Shane Battier, that is, who, before last night's 98-54 win over Georgia Tech, became only the 10th player in Duke basketball history to have his jersey number retired.

"Shane's the consummate winner," Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski said. "He, as much as any of the other nine guys up there, should be up there. He personifies what you want in a basketball player, and he's a terrific player also. He just wants to win. It is an honor to coach Shane Battier."

The ceremony began at 6:49 as Athletic Director Joe Alleva made a few remarks, welcoming the crowd and the Battier family on this momentous occasion.

In his brief speech, Alleva described Battier as an exceptional student-athlete and a role model for all. He then introduced Duke president Nan Keohane to do the official honors.

"It's a school decision," Krzyzewski said.

"To see that Nan and our administration understands just what an impact this kid has had on our program...is terrific."

Keohane's remarks were also brief, touching on Battier's career highlights on and off the court, and stating a few famous quotes about the senior before giving him a framed jersey and noting that it was finally time to put the No. 31 up where it belongs-with the other greats of Duke basketball.

As a huge smile formed on Battier's face, he held up his framed No. 31 to cheers of "Who's your daddy? Battier!" from the Cameron Crazies. After hugging both his parents, he then returned to locker room to get ready to dispatch the Yellow Jackets.

"I was really nervous at the beginning," Battier said. "I was worried about how I would look on T.V. and if my parents would be all right, so my first shot was a little tight, but then I settled in."

Settle in Battier did, putting up 16 points while grabbing seven boards, along with three steals, three blocks and four assists, in, ironically, 31 minutes. It would have been a stellar game for most players, but instead was just what people have come to expect out of the leading national player-of-the-year candidate.

"I'm truly honored and very humbled to think that my name would be added to the pantheon of great players here," Battier said. "I'm still pinching myself. It's special to be able to share it with my family and friends and most of all the guys that I play with. I hope they look at that banner they don't just see No. 31, Battier, they see their name up there too."

Although he didn't have his best performance of the season, their was no way that the team was going to let anything go wrong on their tri-captain's special night.

"Watching him play two years ago when I was in New Jersey in high school and seeing the kind of role he had and what type of player he's turned into has been fun," sophomore guard Jason Williams said. "Hopefully some day my jersey can be retired along with Shane's, but right now it's a really great moment for Shane and I'm really happy for him. He deserves it more than anyone else."

As great as the night was for Battier, he knows his work for the season is far from over. After tonight it'll be right back to business, preparing for the end of the regular season and then the ACC tournament and NCAAs.

"Its always nice to add banners to Cameron," Battier said. "We got one more on the south side, now I need another banner on the north side to balance it out."

Share and discuss “Battier becomes legend” on social media.