Fuqua constructs new student center

Big changes are in store for the Fuqua School of Business, as the Board of Trustees approved a $26 million expansion of the Keller Center in December.

The construction will add a third building-a student center complete with a food court, winter garden, locker rooms, classrooms and faculty offices-to the center.

The idea for the expansion developed over the past few years. In its current condition, the Keller Center does not contain enough space to comfortably accommodate students, faculty and staff. Associate Dean Jim Gray Gray said the daytime students in particular "haven't had good food service or recreational spaces."

Fuqua Deputy Dean John Payne said the new building, located between the east and west wings of the Keller Center, will give students, faculty and staff "places to eat, meet, and an environment that is attractive and livable."

The expensive addition is the second new structure to be added to Fuqua recently. The Wesley-Magat Academic Center-which provides offices, conference rooms and MBA offices-was added to aid the faculty, Gray said. He explained that the extension to the Keller Center will "take care of the last piece of the Fuqua community- our students."

Fuqua students were relieved to hear of the expansion. First-year student Dave Thornton said there was "a glaring need for better food service and a community-like atmosphere."

"We [Fuqua students] spend so much time here between classes and team meetings that we need a place to congregate on our free time," Thornton added.

As Fuqua climbs to the top ranks of business schools, aesthetic surroundings can make the difference in attracting more students. Steve Holley, also a first-year student, explained that Fuqua's current facilities are sub-par.

"Fuqua lags behind its competitor schools on providing a community area," he said. "The extension will be beneficial for current students and serve as a marketing tool for future students as well."

Associate Dean Jill Worthington, who is overseeing the project, said crews broke ground in December, and are currently clearing trees to prepare for the excavation, which will start next week.

Worthington said the project is expected to finish by July 2002 for the new class entering that fall.

Worthington said the project will not exceed the $26 million financial plan which was part of the proposal approved by the Board of Trustees.

Share and discuss “Fuqua constructs new student center” on social media.