N.C. State faces disheartened fans after 20-win season

After four straight NIT seasons, one could say that it is put-up or shut-up time in Raleigh.

N.C. State, which began last season 15-3 and seemed a shoo-in for the NCAA tournament, once again fell into mediocrity by season's end, finishing a respectable, but clearly disappointing, 20-14.

Despite the letdown, the Wolfpack ended on a relatively high note, as it rallied in the NIT before losing to Wake Forest in the semifinals in Madison Square Garden. This season, however, even an NIT semifinal run would be disheartening, as the Wolfpack returns four starters and has recruited arguably the top three high school seniors in North Carolina.

The only true question will be at point guard, where coach Herb Sendek must fill the spot vacated by four-year starter Justin Gainey. Junior Archie Miller and sophomore Clifford Crawford appear to be the leading candidates, but accomplished shooting guard Anthony Grundy is also waiting in the wings.

"I think [Miller and Crawford] will have to have almost a tag-team approach at the point guard where their strengths play off each other," Sendek said. "[Crawford] may have a gear that no one else on this team has, in terms of just pure speed, and obviously Archie is a great outside shooter."

Another complicating factor will be the status of senior center and leading rebounder Damon Thornton, who was recently arrested on drunken driving charges. Thornton was suspended indefinitely from the team after the mishap, but he has since begun workouts with the N.C. State coaching staff in preparation for his eventual reinstatement.

Otherwise, with the return of Grundy, former prep player of the year Damien Wilkins and a host of big men, including 1000-point scorer Kenny Inge, things are looking good for the Wolfpack.

"This is the first year that we've had a [solid] rotation which I think is really healthy," Inge said. "Our young guys are eager to learn and the older guys know that they have certain roles to take."

Share and discuss “N.C. State faces disheartened fans after 20-win season” on social media.