Great Hall may expand ethnic food

Last year's addition of Indian food to the Great Hall is just the beginning of new, versatile dining options at the West Campus dining facility. Indian food-which debuted last fall-has been such a success that Dining Services is considering adding more international cuisine to the Great Hall.

Currently, Sitar Palace is the only outside vendor serving from the Great Hall; however, other local vendors have expressed interest. Among them are Blue Nile Ethiopian Cuisine and Bread and Kabob, which features Mediterranean cuisine.

Jim Wulforst, director of Dining Services, said the addition of Sitar has been a "tremendous hit," adding that he is eager to bring new foods to the Great Hall. However, it is not his decision alone. Wulforst said the Duke University Student Dining Advisory Committee will play a large role in any future endeavors.

Committee members and administrators are taking the long lines and positive feedback as hints that students would like to see more food alternatives.

Amy Congdon, a senior, said that additions would be excellent, adding that aside from the Indian food, the Great Hall "only offers rotisserie chicken."

When asked what new ethnic foods they would like to see, students requested Japanese, Italian, Mediterranean and above all, "good" Chinese food-or as Congdon put it, "not Hans."

Desired as they may be, outside vendors do come with a cost. Wulforst said contracts like those with Sitar shrink the profit margin of the Great Hall, and can influence the quality of other offerings. Still, Wulforst said Dining Services remains committed to providing the students with what they want.

Based on the success of Sitar and developing interests from Durham restaurant owners, it seems outside vendors want to continue supplying students with quality foods. The owner of Sitar Palace said that his staff really enjoys selling from the Great Hall. He added that the restaurant joined up with Dining Services as a means to promote business, not for financial gain. Sitar's owner said that endeavor the amount of student customers dining in the Durham restaurant has increased over the last year.

Junior Anup Shah said the food offered by Sitar is better than other Great Hall foods. He added that the Indian cuisine aids Duke's attempt to promote diversity on campus "because food is a part of everyone's culture" and can be experienced by all.

Trinity junior and Resident Advisor Theresa Pancotto has made an event of the Indian dinners. She and her hallmates attend the Wednesday meals together, which she said helps unite the women as they talk over dinner.

Last year, students expressed interest in seeing the Blue Nile on campus by voting for them in a referendum to choose additional participants in the merchants-on-points program. .

Blue Nile owner Friesh Dabei said she thinks her restaurant would be popular because it is one of the few restaurants that serves vegan food in the Durham area.

Share and discuss “Great Hall may expand ethnic food” on social media.